• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Four Lunar Targets for Tonight

Nightspore

LsvrREo.jpg

The Montes Harbinger are a ninety three kilometre group of mountains to the west of the Imbrium basin. The feature consists of four large mountains surrounded by several smaller ones. They are named after the fact that they herald the dawn over the nearby Aristarchus crater. 

F6imRFq.jpg

Oblique view of Montes Harbinger, on the moon, facing west. James Stuby based on NASA image (Apollo 15)

The twenty nine kilometre Kepler impact crater is surrounded by a very noticeable ejecta ray system. Its interior walls are terraced and it has an uneven crater floor. 

LBoiLZP.jpg

The large Gassendi crater, situated to the north of the Mare Humorum, has a seventy kilometre fissure (rima) inside its nearly two kilometre high walls. Gassendi has a smaller crater (Gassendi A) in its perimeter giving it the moniker of the ‘Diamond Ring’. 

m2ChFPG.jpg

Schiller is an elongated crater situated in the south west area of the Moon. It is one hundred and seventy kilometres long by seventy one kilometres wide. It was probably formed by the fusion of two separate craters. The wall terraces and ramparts are very well defined. The crater floor appears to be a flat lava flow.

HUTKT9G.jpg

The Moon (in Virgo) will be 93% illuminated and 28°, 55’ altitude at 22:00 BST on 13/5/22. 

Screenshots by courtesy of SkySafari 6 Pro

Will you be shadow chasing Sunday night / Monday morning ?

Eclipse starts Monday morning 03:28

Totality starts 04:29 but morning twilight will be about and the moon will be getting low

and indeed will start to set only 40min later at 05:09

I'll be at work, but should have the opportunity to take a few piccies with a 200mm lens hopefully.

• Like 2

Had to miss last night.  All though the moon is almost full will be out tonight.

11 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Will you be shadow chasing Sunday night / Monday morning ?

Eclipse starts Monday morning 03:28

Totality starts 04:29 but morning twilight will be about and the moon will be getting low

and indeed will start to set only 40min later at 05:09

I'll be at work, but should have the opportunity to take a few piccies with a 200mm lens hopefully.

It's unlikely. I'm pretty sure it will be too low for me.