• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Messier 3

Bottletopburly

more data from the 24th bringing data to 4.40hrs.
large.48B86DD2-F808-44A0-8992-0AD69967F8DD.jpeg.c3a4b58ab83a598d9b562ba06873d807.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice capture David 👍🏼

I learnt this weekend that Globular clusters have a classification of 'concentration' on a scale of 1 - 12.

Its called the Shapley-Sawyer concentration class scale with class 1 being the most compact and concentrated to 12 being the opposite, and very loose.

M3 is at Class 6.

M80 on the other hand is Class 2 as is Messier 2. At class 1 there is M75 (not seen any of them)

At the other end of the scale you have something like M68 and M55 (Class 10 and 11) that are very loose with little in the way of concentration towards the centre of the cluster.

Interesting stuff.

Theres plenty of Globulars out there and a fair few that i haven't observed myself yet and need to track down

This months AN magazine has a feature on my favourite constellation, Scorpius.

I've seen M4 before but need to reacquaint myself with it, but nearby M80 is one i haven't seen.

I need a darkish sky though and a good southern horizon, so it will be one to hunt down next time i'm up at Tannenbaum.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Nice capture David 👍🏼

I learnt this weekend that Globular clusters have a classification of 'concentration' on a scale of 1 - 12.

Its called the Shapley-Sawyer concentration class scale with class 1 being the most compact and concentrated to 12 being the opposite, and very loose.

M3 is at Class 6.

M80 on the other hand is Class 2 as is Messier 2. At class 1 there is M75 (not seen any of them)

At the other end of the scale you have something like M68 and M55 (Class 10 and 11) that are very loose with little in the way of concentration towards the centre of the cluster.

Interesting stuff.

Theres plenty of Globulars out there and a fair few that i haven't observed myself yet and need to track down

This months AN magazine has a feature on my favourite constellation, Scorpius.

I've seen M4 before but need to reacquaint myself with it, but nearby M80 is one i haven't seen.

I need a darkish sky though and a good southern horizon, so it will be one to hunt down next time i'm up at Tannenbaum.

I have an image somewhere of a real small cluster, I will see if I can find it .