• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HE5 Pro Problems

Ibbo

Not my mount and trying to help over faceache is not ideal but...

Got mount working with handset and then plugged into laptop to try to run with Stellarium he then got interupted and has  gone back to it and it now the handset does not work.

Mount light is on and is been powered by a celestron power tank (alledged fully charged)

Any suggestions ?

Edited by Ibbo

Sounds not unlike the usual SkyWatcher mount problem of people plugging incompatible voltage levels or incorrect connections into the mount and blowing the interface chips 😔

Does the mount still work via pc ? Or was he connecting via pc to handset , it may be the motherboard that’s blown and not powering handset, I suppose a multi meter could be used to see if there’s power at the handset plug connection on mount .

Hi Steve 

Going to need a bit more info on this one.

Did he switch off to plug in the pc ???

Does the mount work with the PC.  ???

Edited by Graham

45 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Does the mount still work via pc ? Or was he connecting via pc to handset , it may be the motherboard that’s blown and not powering handset, I suppose a multi meter could be used to see if there’s power at the handset plug connection on mount .

No he did not get it to connect to the laptop.

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

Hi Steve 

Going to need a bit more info on this one.

Did he switch off to plug in the pc ???

Probably not

Well if he did not power down the mount before unplugging the handset I would give it an 80% chance that he has blown Caps 1 or 2. 

He will need to replace them but up grade to 60 volt caps instead of the 35 volt caps that are currently installed.

They will be a bit bigger but they do fit.

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

This may be too late but I had a similar problem some years ago. This might be worth a try.