• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Low mag on F5 newt

Stu

Hi all. Currently, the panoptic 24mm is my go to EP for most things that don't require high magnification. I was thinking about getting something around the 40mm mark but read somewhere that it would be wasted on an F5 newt. Has anyone got any feedback on this subject as I don't want to fork out for one if it's not going to perform very well?

I bought the 38mm skywatcher Panaview for my Newt purely to get the Veil nebula. It works in the dark with filters, but I can just see the secondary when it's a bit lighter. It is a great finder eyepiece with just a bit more mag and a big piece of sky. Nice for just bimbling about and just looking.

Edited by BAZ

I read that exit pupil size is a consideration. As you get older your pupil size is roughly 6mm. My Baader 36mm ep with my f5 Newt gives an exit pupil of 7mm therefore my eye can’t capture all the light the ep provides. Not sure how much of a difference it really makes though.

3 hours ago, BAZ said:

I bought the 38mm skywatcher Panoptic for my Newt purely to get the Veil nebula. It works in the dark with filters, but I can just see the secondary when it's a bit lighter. It is a great finder eyepiece with just a bit more mag and a big piece of sky. Nice for just bimbling about and just looking.

That's all it'll be for really, just looking around at star clusters and general bimbling. Is that the same as the OVL panaview?

1 hour ago, Streetbob said:

I read that exit pupil size is a consideration. As you get older your pupil size is roughly 6mm. My Baader 36mm ep with my f5 Newt gives an exit pupil of 7mm therefore my eye can’t capture all the light the ep provides. Not sure how much of a difference it really makes though.

I can't see a 36mm baader, is it a discontinued line?

3 hours ago, Stu said:

That's all it'll be for really, just looking around at star clusters and general bimbling. Is that the same as the OVL panaview?

Unless you want the weight and expense of 2" eyepieces, i would stick with your excellent Pan 24.

I'd be more inclined (with an F5 scope) to try out a friends 2" eyepiece at a meet or observing session and see how you get on with it.

With something like an APM 30/82 theres more than a chance of you seeing your scopes secondary in the field of view ; rather off putting.

Thats my experience, but your mileage may very......

4 hours ago, Streetbob said:

I wish my pupil size was 6mm !!

Mine are only around half that.

55 year old eyes i'm afraid......😒

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I can't see a 36mm baader, is it a discontinued line?

They are under Baader Aspheric 2" Eyepieces. However they aren’t on FLO . They are on Rothervalley Optics, but they may be a discontinued line.

57 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Unless you want the weight and expense of 2" eyepieces, i would stick with your excellent Pan 24.

I'd be more inclined (with an F5 scope) to try out a friends 2" eyepiece at a meet or observing session and see how you get on with it.

With something like an APM 30/82 theres more than a chance of you seeing your scopes secondary in the field of view ; rather off putting.

Thats my experience, but your mileage may very......

I wish my pupil size was 6mm !!

Mine are only around half that.

55 year old eyes i'm afraid......😒

I'll stick with the pan 24, I do love it. 

Speaking of meets, do you guys ever meet up for sessions? I'd love to see some people IRL and see how more experienced people do things. * Also so I can check out other people's gear 😉

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Speaking of meets, do you guys ever meet up for sessions? I'd love to see some people IRL and see how more experienced people do things. * Also so I can check out other people's gear 😉

So we do meet at our two dark sites but things have been a bit quite since covid and this time off the year isn't brilliant. The sites are near Belper and one in Wymeswold. Just look out for meets. First visit is free then if you want to use the sites going forward its £20 a year which gives you access whenever you want. We have to let Belper know your coming but Wymeswold can be accessed whenever you want.

You would be welcome to try my es 100° if I'm about. Friday are usually best for me.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

How more experienced people do things........?    In my case, rather haphazardly !! 😆

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, tuckstar said:

So we do meet at our two dark sites but things have been a bit quite since covid and this time off the year isn't brilliant. The sites are near Belper and one in Wymeswold. Just look out for meets. First visit is free then if you want to use the sites going forward its £20 a year which gives you access whenever you want. We have to let Belper know your coming but Wymeswold can be accessed whenever you want.

You would be welcome to try my es 100° if I'm about. Friday are usually best for me.

I've been holding off the dark site membership until I can afford a battery pack. But once that's sorted I'll definitely be up for going.

I'd be very interested in giving that a go, what focal length is it? I've got an es68 16mm which I mainly use for lunar in my x2.5 PM. It's a nice little EP.

Much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

How more experienced people do things........?    In my case, rather haphazardly !! 😆

Sounds like I might be doing it right already 😁

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'd be very interested in giving that a go, what focal length is it? 

5.5, 9, 14 and 20mm

36 minutes ago, tuckstar said:

5.5, 9, 14 and 20mm

Nice! It'd be interesting to see the difference compared to my 68°/70° ones. 

At f5 there is gonna be coma, simple fact, but most hardly notice and you have to look to see it. And i do have a comma corrector, had it over two years and still not set it up yet😆. 100° isn't for everyone so def try before you consider super wide eyepieces. I fell in love when I looked through another members es 100° and its taken a few birthdays and xmas' to get my own. What has shocked me is some are now worth more second hand than what I paid for them new!

Yes, thats happened to me.

I actually made a profit on my Nagler 31 when i sold it in 2018 !!

That sort of thing hardly ever happen.......