• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hornby train repairs

Stu

Hi folks. Very much off topic but are there any Hornby model train enthusiasts out there that could assist me? I got my old set down from my parents loft and have a train out of service. I seem to remember it not working when I was younger and it looks like I tried to fix it, but failed. Maybe needs a new motor. Definitely a bit of rewiring to fix my botched repair attempt. It's been up in the loft for at least 25 years, maybe longer. 

'Train out of service'  !!

I could write a book on that !  😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

'Train out of service'  !!

I could write a book on that !  😆

Transport issues or model problems?

Well.........just the last 32 years driving them.

And most of the units are the same age...or older !

3 minutes ago, RonC said:

Hi Stu, have you more details about the loco??

It's an Intercity 125. I'm guessing there will be some serial numbers somewhere? I can put a picture up a bit later if that helps?

Thank you muchly 😊

I guess it's just a Hornby 12v model, I may be able to fix it as I've done a few in my time.

I run a US Digital layout now, only a shelf type  (See some on my Flickr page) but I have 12v stuff in a box somewhere!

Edited by RonC

I'll check it out. It'll be nice to get it all working, the others just need some maintenance I think. I certainly don't remember stripping them down when I was younger.

I have had to promise my better half that this isn't going to be another rabbit hole I dive head first into though 😄 I'll stick the picture up and see what you think. 

Back to cleaning 25 years worth of #@£% off the track for me 😭

Use a track rubber (model shop) saves time and energy! 🙂

I've been using one, it is also 25 years old. I could probably do with new one to be fair. 

2022-07-26_07-55-55

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's an Intercity 125....

Bought my son one of those for a Christmas present about the same number of years ago. It went in the bin a few years ago as it also had stopped working many years before.

Stu, you could send me the chassis/motor etc and I'd give it a try if you want me too?

35 minutes ago, RonC said:

Stu, you could send me the chassis/motor etc and I'd give it a try if you want me too?

That would be great! Thanks very much. 

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Bought my son one of those for a Christmas present about the same number of years ago. It went in the bin a few years ago as it also had stopped working many years before.

Must've been a bad batch 😄

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I've been using one, it is also 25 years old. I could probably do with new one to be fair. 

2022-07-26_07-55-55

Proud to say i've driven the real thing a few times on the main line during my Derby days in the early 90s.

And i once went down Stoke bank (between Grantham and Peterborough) at 130 mph in one. They rode beautifully.

8 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Proud to say i've driven the real thing a few times on the main line during my Derby days in the early 90s.

And i once went down Stoke bank (between Grantham and Peterborough) at 130 mph in one. They rode beautifully.

That's excellent! Hopefully more reliable than the mini version. 

8 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Obviously @RonC had probably cleaned the track with his track rubber 😆🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2