• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Solar observing basics...?

Bob Dobber

Hi all - I have done a very limited amount of solar with a Baader film filter on my regular astro cam but want to come back to it.

How do people manage to slew to the sun? Do you use Stellarium or similar to slew then manually move the mount about until you see it (I'll use SharpCap most likely). Also, if my camera is focused for DSO would I expect it to still be largely focused for the sun or will it be totally out would we think?

Obviously it's not a dedicated solar camera, so any tips gladly received - I image in mono so would I just have a plain L filter in or will any of my other filters be worth using? I have read not, but just wondered.

thanks!

Rob

You should not need any further filtering and yes you should not be far off with focus.

Mkae yourself a solar finder I think you have a 3D printer there are some on thingyverse.

Cover normal finder scope or better still take it off the scope or mayb make that a filter.

I use cartes but yes Stellarium should work but the sun can be a bugger to find 😀  I use the histogram

take plenty of dat stack them up and sharpen

mono for solar is best colour them in PS if you wish

An O3 filter can help with granulation as it is near the continuum filter

Edited by Ibbo