• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

So, Who Saw the Saturn Opposition?

Nightspore

I got lucky with my 127mm Mak' with a good hour up until transit. The Mak' had cooled for over two hours.

S3YSxEV.jpg

I could see Titan and Rhea. The rings were very bright, possibly the Seeliger Effect as the opposition was at 18:02. Transit was 01:18 I believe. 

JiNdxNd.jpg

I started off at 123x with a Tak' 12.5mm ortho'. Eventually moving to a 10mm BCO (154x) and then a 9mm Bresser sixty degree 'Plossl' for a good 171x. I observed for over an hour with a mixture of no filter, a Baader Semi-APO, a Baader Neodymium and a Baader Single Polariser. 

So I'm a happy bunny.

• Like 3

I’m now going to have to find out what the Seeliger Effect is. Sounds like you had a good session. 

56 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

I’m now going to have to find out what the Seeliger Effect is. Sounds like you had a good session. 

Plus I saw the Moon and Jupiter for a bit. The rings seemed unusually bright.  Apparently the opposition surge can be seen several hours before and after opposition.