• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The mak needs collimated

Bottletopburly

Fired up the mak 127mm last night  not the best start managed to find rough focus enough to plate solve over to Deneb to focus using bahtinov mask , then skewed to Saturn popping in the Barlow , could hardly make out Saturn , tried various settings gain etc I came to the conclusion collation is out due to a school boy error last week and refitting focus knob forgetting to pay ota horizontal and seeing mirror slip 🤬 anyway stripped down and sorted but by the look of it collimation is out so hopefully I will redo the collimation with the help of an adapted torch and a fibre optic cable that shows a pinprick of light , focussing not as easy with a mak as you don’t know where the focus point is roughly compared to a Newtonian focuser so a wasted  good night of imaging .

I gave up on Saturn last night David because the seeing was so bad that low down

• Like 2

I may be teaching granny etc but if a Mak isnt aclimated the tube currents play havoc with the image. Many is the time when I have thought the maks I had (180 ' 127) were out only to find the next time out they were bang on.

From experience, make sure when you check collimation on a star that you do it without diagonal as that can introduce errors.

Also maks are very robust so they dont drift out of collimation, it usually takes a trauma of some type, has it been dropped?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, philjay said:

I may be teaching granny etc but if a Mak isnt aclimated the tube currents play havoc with the image. Many is the time when I have thought the maks I had (180 ' 127) were out only to find the next time out they were bang on.

From experience, make sure when you check collimation on a star that you do it without diagonal as that can introduce errors.

Also maks are very robust so they dont drift out of collimation, it usually takes a trauma of some type, has it been dropped?

Hi Phil yes I had been living on the mount this week so should have been ok  maybe a bit of everything certainly slipping the mirror didn’t help I should have popped over to Jupiter and seen how that looked , very rusty on planetary been years since I tried which is why I got the mak which I picked up for a £100,a few years ago