• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dew heater for the 10 inch Meade.

Graham

Thought I would start this post today so you can see what I intend to make.

You can now get a dew heater for Celestron SCT's that are built into the corrector plate holding ring.

These are not available for the Meade SCT's so I am going to build my own for my 10 inch Meade SCT.

Here is how I am going to do it.

I have a large Aluminium ring left over from a Solar cell I made for the University of Singapore Astro department's new Celestron C11.

spacer.png

I also have a spare collector plate ring for my Meade.

spacer.png

I will manufacture a new ring from the Aluminium with a groove cut in the rear face to hold a ring of resistors thus providing the heat direct onto the corrector plate.  

More to follow as I will have to use the large Colchester Lathe at work as my Lathe here does not have a big enough chuck to hold this ring.

I took some time out at work today to make the new retaining ring.

The front.

spacer.png

The groove for the resisters to sit in.

spacer.png

The back.

spacer.png

Just waiting for Amazon to deliver the resistors and I can put it together.

After fitting the resistors will you be infilling the groove with thermally conductive material to ensure good heat transfer to the ring?

1 hour ago, Clive said:

After fitting the resistors will you be infilling the groove with thermally conductive material to ensure good heat transfer to the ring?

That is my intension Clive Yes.

Ring of resistors.

Unfortunately the Shrink wrap I brought home from work is just too small to go over the resistors.

Will have to get the next size up tomorrow.

I have now sprayed it Black ready for the final assembly and fitting tomorrow.

spacer.png

• Like 3

I have a big thank you to give out to Clive.

He did the calculations on this and advised me that the Wattage output in this configuration was going to be too low for such a large scope.

I did test it and he was absolutely right, the Aluminium was dispersing the heat faster that the resistors were producing it.

Clive has come up with the configuration of two sets of seven resistors wired up in parallel which will give me 17 watts of heat.

So tomorrow I will split this ring in half and run a positive and a negative to the cut ends thus giving me a parallel wiring configuration.

This is going to save me one hell of a lot of work as I had worked out another way to do it which involved a lot more wiring.

So a massive thanks once again to Clive.

Watch this space for a full update on how it works.

• Like 2

That was an outstanding effort, from conception to finish it can be measured in hours! Also what brilliant colaberation from all, so it got done right first time too.

Edited by BAZ
Carp grammar!