• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

24th September - Belper Dark Site - 19:30 to 20:00 start - ANY WEATHER (except torrential rain).

Jerry

Would like to visit a Darksite, hopefully next Saturday weather permiting, anyone else interested in going to Belper or Wymeswold?

Edited by Daz Type-R

Working Saturday and Sunday, but assuming i'm not in too early either day, i might be able to pop down for 2 or 3 hours.

Hi Guys, we have a couple of newbies wanting to go the the Belper dark site for a look around (and hopefully some observing) on this date (Jerry I think you messaged me a week or so ago???).

Unfortunately this Saturday is bang over the Kelling heath Star Party in Norfolk, which myself, Sheila and Andy are all attending.

Can we use this thread please to organise who is going, are you still going regardless if it is cloudy or not and also to show the newbies the site(s), explain process ETC.

Once a decision on location has been reached, time arranged and who is going or not and if still going ahead if the weather is poor, can the original post be amended (admin who is here) to make this as seamless as possible?

Cheers.

• Daz Type-R featured this topic

If folks want to make it Belper-

Although not admin as such, I,m happy to be at Belper from 20:00 to meet and greet new folks. 

I may even take a scope :-)

Cant do Wymeswold, its just too far for me now Ive moved to the wild wild west.

Ps, Im just after an excuse to get fish and chips from ambergate chippy :-)

Edited by philjay

Just moved this to the "Announcements" section, so any newbies who fancy a look can attend, who are not yet dark site members.

(Dark site meets do usually go in the dark site meets section, which is restricted to dark site members only but we have had a few newbies recently who are interested in dark site membership).

Thanks Darren, Belper sounds good to me, think I'm halfway between the two so will go which ever one has the less clouds 😁, what time would be best to get there and do the owners need to be contacted first?

I was hoping to have a look at Belper as it's a bit closer to me than Wymeswold so would be using that site more. I can get there pretty much any time. I would go whatever the weather is like because even if there's no observing, I could meet some people, see how it works and just get an idea for the site. 

I will be at Belper site about 17:30 to 20:00 regardless of weather (except if its teeming down). 

Just a heads up. Belper site is high and exposed so is a few degrees lower temperature than in Belper. So even though it feels ok ish at home make sure you have thick socks and a warm and windproof top

Can admin contact Sharon for the gate to be unlocked for us please?

• Like 2

• Daz Type-R changed the title to 24th September - Belper Dark Site - 19:30 to 20:00 start - ANY WEATHER (except torrential rain).

Amended title to show the meet is at the Belper dark site with a start time of 19:30 to 20:00.  

I will message the site owner tomorrow and respond back once we have confirmation it’s a go.

Thanks @philjay for being the site guide. 

We have the OK from the site, gates will be open / unlocked from 19:30.

Hope you all have a great time and the weather is good but remember what was said above, it is really high up, so will be a good 5-6 degrees colder up there than down in Belper / Ambergate, so wrap up warm.

Remember though this is a 24x7x365 campsite, so there could be campers there, upon entry, head down to the very bottom of the field, we normally head for the far right hand side and watch out for the random telegraph pole in the middle of the field!

Edited by Daz Type-R

Travelling back from Scotland Friday, but hoping I’m not too knackered for Belper Saturday.

I have a question for the admins. Someone I know wants to come down and have a look and may want to get a dark site membership but they don't currently have an account on here and they wouldn't be able to come till 9. Is the time OK and does he need to make an account on here first. I'm still planning on coming either way, just wanted some clarification.

You can bring someone as a guest, as such they would be your responsibilty. I can't see a problem as the first visit is free to see if it suits their needs. After that then membership would be required, which would mean joining to access the account. I hope that's ok.

Edited by BAZ
Rubbish spelling.

Yeah thanks for the clarification. He's new to the hobby so doesn't have any equipment (hence why he's coming with me) so he will be using mine but of course if he wants to go again he would be setting up an account and joining me in getting a dark site membership. Thanks.

What are the ground conditions like after this rain?

I have not been to this site before so has anybody got the Post Code please?