• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Member- Newark

Aly_91x

Hi All! 

New member here and I have recently got into Astrophotography and I have a Skywatcher scope. I have just moved to Newark and I was wondering if there are any local meets in and around the area? Would love to meet other people who share the same interest! I am very New to all of this. 

- Alysha :) 

Hi there Alysha : a warm welcome to EMS.

We have a few on here that live in those parts.

The nearest place to you where we meet up is our 'darksite' at Wymeswold, but its a 33mile journey so a bit of a trek i'm afraid.

Good luck with your new astrophotography hobby 🙂🔭

Hello :) 

Thank you for welcoming me. Luckily I drive so I dont mind travelling. Sadly living in a town centre I am used to travelling to get away from light pollution. 

Hi Alysha, a warm welcome to the group. As Rob said, Wymeswold would be the closest. Even though it's a good distance, with the A 46 running most of the way it probably wouldn't take long to reach it. Maybe some of the more experienced imagers could give you pointers for taking images in town, though it is getting more difficult with all the varied light poluttion.

Have a look round and make yourself at home.

Hi Alysha, I also live in Newark and do astrophotography!

I go to some of the meets we have at Wymeswold which is only 25-30 mins from Newark down the A46.

I'm on the SW side of town (Hawton), I get some skyglow from the town (NE) and a bit from the East (Cement works)

but not too bad. I use a Triband filter if it's too bad (with an added Moon!) but generally just a Skyglow filter.

Welcome to EMS

Ron

Hi all, thank you for the warm welcome. Like you have said with the A46 it is easily accessible. 

Hi Ron! I am not too far from Hawton so I imagine a sky glow filter would be beneficial for me too. I imagine you find it successful as I have a moon filter for my.scope but I cant seem to get on with it however I am willing to try anything with my camera. It is meant to be clear skies on Friday and the lay-by on Southwell Road has been recommended so I thought I would try there this week. 

I will have to keep an eye our our the next time you all meet at Wymeswold and hopefully meet you all! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Aly_91x said:

Hi all, thank you for the warm welcome. Like you have said with the A46 it is easily accessible. 

Hi Ron! I am not too far from Hawton so I imagine a sky glow filter would be beneficial for me too. I imagine you find it successful as I have a moon filter for my.scope but I cant seem to get on with it however I am willing to try anything with my camera. It is meant to be clear skies on Friday and the lay-by on Southwell Road has been recommended so I thought I would try there this week. 

I will have to keep an eye our our the next time you all meet at Wymeswold and hopefully meet you all! 

My scope is fixed in my observatory (although I do have a small scope etc for other locations) Not sure about layby due to traffic and headlights? Let me know how you get on?

Oh wow, now I am jealous!

I thought the exact same so I thought I would explore and see if it's as good as they say. I will let you know :D 

6 hours ago, BAZ said:

Have a look on this light pollution map and see if there are any dark spots near you. Although it is getting more difficult to find anywhere even remotely dark near major towns.

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=13.21&lat=53.0548&lon=-0.8317&layers=B0TFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Thank you Baz, this will be useful. Like you have said it's difficult nowadays but I will nodount find somewhere