• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

PC to PC connection

Stu

Hi folks. I'm want to connect my mount pc and laptop using Chrome remote desktop, but as the scope will be at the top of the garden it will be out of range of my WiFi. 

I've searched for how to connect them and setting up and and hoc network looks like the solution. 

1) Is that right or can I connect without WiFi?

2) I've followed steps to set up an ad hoc network but don't seem to have the option on either PC. Is new hardware/software required?

3) Could I use my phone's mobile data and connect both to that?

Any assistance would be much appreciated. 

I will tell you how I do it I use Anydesk (free) found it easier than all the rest , I have the power to my shed and use powerline adapters 1000mbs I then have a Ethernet cable from powerline adapter in shed to an Ethernet hub as I did have two pc in shed at one point you could plug direct from powerline adapter to Ethernet plug on your pc assuming it has one , then all I do is from my laptop in house connect to shed pc via Anydesk, you need to configure Anydesk but that’s easy only a matter of using a code from your shed pc so your computers can communicate, I even have Anydesk on my phone so can tweak mount during polar alignment and see my desktop on my phone screen I just leave my pc on in shed on all the time, you can get WiFi powerline adapter I think so could have WiFi powerline adapter in shed to connect to mount pc 

Edited by Bottletopburly
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

I will tell you how I do it I use Anydesk (free) found it easier than all the rest , I have the power to my shed and use powerline adapters 1000mbs I then have a Ethernet cable from powerline adapter in shed to an Ethernet hub as I did have two pc in shed at one point you could plug direct from powerline adapter to Ethernet plug on your pc assuming it has one , then all I do is from my laptop in house connect to shed pc via Anydesk, you need to configure Anydesk but that’s easy only a matter of using a code from your shed pc so your computers can communicate, I even have Anydesk on my phone so can tweak mount during polar alignment and see my desktop on my phone screen I just leave my pc on in shed on all the time, you can get WiFi powerline adapter I think so could have WiFi powerline adapter in shed to connect to mount pc 

Thanks. So when you connect from the house, you're just connecting direct to the shed rather than a WiFi/mobile data network? Or is the power line adapter picking up the WiFi? I'm not very clued up on this sort of thing. 

Is there any scope for using a Mesh to extend your wifi to the nearest point inside the house? How long is your garden exactly?? 😉

It's about 20m to where my scope will be set up. Ideally I need something I can use out in the field as well. 

I don't have power up there at the moment but I was planning on putting a small heater in to combat mould. I'd never heard of powerline adapters but they look like the answer to my problem, thanks 👍

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

I don't have power up there at the moment but I was planning on putting a small heater in to combat mould. I'd never heard of powerline adapters but they look like the answer to my problem, thanks 👍

Think about running some 6 mm armoured cable to your shed it will be worth the investment .

2 hours ago, Clive said:

I guess a PC to PC ethernet cable doesn't work these days?

I'll give that a go later, I've got a couple in my work kit 👍

2 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Think about running some 6 mm armoured cable to your shed it will be worth the investment .

Would it have to be 6mm all the way to the consumer unit? I wired a feed from there to a JB in the garden when we did the electrics, I think that's only on 2.5mm though. 

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

Direct PC to PC used to require a cross over ethenet cable, so standard cables needed to be connected using an intermediate hub or switch. Perhaps PCs may be a bit more savey these days, but i guess your router ethernet sockets would do the same job?

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Would it have to be 6mm all the way to the consumer unit? I wired a feed from there to a JB in the garden when we did the electrics, I think that's only on 2.5mm though. 

I don’t think so ,have an electrician look at it , I ran 10mm armour cable too the consumer box on mine but I was doing kitchen at the time and had the ceiling down so I ran it through the ceiling and down the cavity to the outside 

Got a couple of mesh things to improve my WIFI in general, also means I can use the remote PC close to the house, just means I can't see N to SE but I've spoken to an electrician for advice on running a cable up to the shed 😁