• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NGC 7830

Stu

Is the red cast something that is apparent in the unprocessed TIF image from DSS? Although it can be easily removed in post processing a more 'naturally coloured' image may be obtained from DSS by selecting certain settings prior to stacking.

44 minutes ago, Clive said:

Is the red cast something that is apparent in the unprocessed TIF image from DSS? Although it can be easily removed in post processing a more 'naturally coloured' image may be obtained from DSS by selecting certain settings prior to stacking.

I got a bit carried away at some point with the red 😄

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Also, I'm struggling to get a natural looking image without losing all the detail. 

1 hour ago, RonC said:

If you turn the image 90' left, you will see a flying horse! 👍

I think I see it 

In DSS, under the RAW file settings tab I use the following settings:

No white balance processing: Unchecked

Use camera white balance: Unchecked

Also if you're using bias frames, Set the black point to zero: Checked

Then, especially if your using a KS stacking method, select one of the Background Calibration methods in the stacking options.

1 minute ago, Clive said:

In DSS, under the RAW file settings tab I use the following settings:

No white balance processing: Unchecked

Use camera white balance: Unchecked

Also if you're using bias frames, Set the black point to zero: Checked

Then, especially if your using a KS stacking method, select one of the Background Calibration methods in the stacking options.

Thanks, I'll give that a try 👍

When you say where it went wonky, what do you mean? I see some distortion to the stars in the lower left. Was this worse in the uncropped image? If so it could be DSS applying incorrect alignment parameters which can usually be overcome by reducing the number of alignment stars used and/or changing the alignment method from Automatic to one of the other options.

24 minutes ago, Clive said:

When you say where it went wonky, what do you mean? I see some distortion to the stars in the lower left. Was this worse in the uncropped image? If so it could be DSS applying incorrect alignment parameters which can usually be overcome by reducing the number of alignment stars used and/or changing the alignment method from Automatic to one of the other options.

I assumed it was because of having to refind the target after losing power. I'll pop it in here later so you can see what I mean, just off out to a gig 🤘

17 hours ago, Stu said:

I assumed it was because of having to refind the target after losing power. I'll pop it in here later so you can see what I mean, just off out to a gig 🤘

I'll start a new thread in imaging