• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NGC 7830 continued

Stu

Hi. So the brighter image is the original stack. The 2nd is with checking "set black point to 0", the other settings were already unchecked as recommend @Clive  I also changed the star detection threshold to %15. An improvement for sure! I'm new to all this so have just been using the default stacking settings.

I've only been going through the basic processing steps in Making Every Photon Count. Anything beyond that is something I'm yet to try. I assume that if I'd had my intended 4 hours instead of 1 on the target I'd be in a better position?

NGC_7830_DSS

NGC_7830_DSS_2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

... I also changed the star detection threshold to %15 ...

You should be aiming for no more than 200 stars in each image.  Did you also try altering the alignment method? It seems to be getting it wrong in the bottom left corner, something I've experienced in the past with dense star fields. Normally changing the alignment setting to Bisquared or Bilinear solves it.

1 hour ago, Clive said:

You should be aiming for no more than 200 stars in each image.  Did you also try altering the alignment method? It seems to be getting it wrong in the bottom left corner, something I've experienced in the past with dense star fields. Normally changing the alignment setting to Bisquared or Bilinear solves it.

Ah, I think the star detection is a wee bit more than 200. Will increasing the threshold reduce that further?

I haven't changed any alignment settings yet, I'll try them out and see what come out. 

Thank you for all the tips 👍

Great, glad you've managed to crack that problem! (You don't need actually many stars common to all the images for DSS to align them, I think it can be in single figures for bilinear alignment).

Now to tease out that faint fuzzy stuff ☺