• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DSLR DSO filters

Stu

Hi folks. Another question 😁 Other than the LPS filter with my modded DSLR, are there any others that could enhance my DSO game? Or are they more for astro cameras?

If your DSLR has been modded then the Ha and S2 wavelengths becomes more accessible, but with a colour camera I'm not sure I would go down the road of using individual Ha, S2 and O3 filters that are used with mono cameras. Perhaps one of the dual (or more) narrow band filters would suit your needs but before spending serious money on one, I would concentrate on honing the processing of images, perhaps spending some of that hard earned money on an image processing software specifically aimed at processing astrophotography images.  Some cost more than others and some are still free, and I'm certainly not going to make any recomendation, it's far to subjective! But I find the capability of gradient removal, deconvolution, noise reduction and curves such as ArcSinH invaluable for processing astro images.

To be honest, I got asked what I want for Christmas (my wife is very organized) and filters popped into my head. I'll check the dual band out. I can take a look at software in the meantime. A lot of people seem to use Photoshop but I'd rather pay a one off fee instead of subscription. 

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

... A lot of people seem to use Photoshop but I'd rather pay a one off fee instead of subscription. 

Then perhaps Affinity photo (by local company based in Nottingham I think) could be an option, apparently just as powerful as photoshop plus it has some astrophotography specific tools. It's currently a one off price of under £50 with lifetime updates. They also occasionally have it on offer, I got my copy just over a year or so ago for just over £20 and still get the latest version updates for free.

12 minutes ago, Clive said:

Then perhaps Affinity photo (by local company based in Nottingham I think) could be an option, apparently just as powerful as photoshop plus it has some astrophotography specific tools. It's currently a one off price of under £50 with lifetime updates. They also occasionally have it on offer, I got my copy just over a year or so ago for just over £20 and still get the latest version updates for free.

👍 I will certainly check out Affinity