• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

POTM September. 2022

BAZ

Due to our regular image scrutiniser being temporarily disabled by technical difficulties, unfortunately you have me, a poor old visual only having a bash at this months POTM. Regular service will be resumed shortly or Phil may have to do this by post!

The nights are getting darker with the promise of clear nights in the offing being outweighed by the promise of cloudy ones being more prevalent. That said, there were one or two good nights to be had and the efforts posted show you are all raring to go.

Due to time constraints there won't be a full round up, but a squint through the image section will show the sterling work posted in September.

Deep Space Objects had a good turn out, Dave's wide field of ther North American Nebula and Pelican drew my attention, a really wide shot that was well managed.

The Soul Nebula got a good going over with Dave, Rob and Chris all turning in some nice images.

Ibbo's NGC7479 stood out as a nice rendition of a far away fuzzy, (105 million LY's) the light in the image left there well into the Dinosaurs reign.

Rob has persisted with the Iris nebula and I think you would agree has done it justice.

Stu, likewise has been properly bothering NGC78730 and his persistance has paid off with a nice image. Thanks to all for the help you offered on that one too, that's what it's all about, seeing how the image improve shows the value of a bit of teamwork.

Planetwise both Graham and Ibbo upped the stakes on this one, some truly remarkable images and videos posted. Adam and Rob joined the party and also posted some nice shots of Jupiter and Saturn.

Solar was down to the usual suspects sun bothering, this produced some great shots with some spectacular proms and filaments, the old girl is getting a bit lively again. Not to be left behind Rob popped up with a nice white light shot with some nice detail in the sunspots and granulation towards the limb.

So, after a good perusal of the posted work by all,  I have come to the decision that Septembers POTM is to be shared honours by both Graham and Ibbo for some truly amazing images of Jupiter, you have to agree the quality and patiance it took processing were outstanding. 

A big thank you to all for sharing your work, it still never ceases to amaze me how the quality of back yard imaging has come on in the last couple of decades, these are now rivelling the work carried out by the big scopes in the past that were the sole domain of professionals. 

Edited by BAZ
  • Like 4

Well done Graham, when my tinternet allowed me to watch your videos I was taken back to when I had my 4" f15, sitting and watching this live. Great work.

Superbly detailed images from Steve as well

Thanks Martyn, good roundup.

normal but slow tinternet service has now been restored at philjay towers this evening so normal service resumed

Congratulations Steve and Graham, both of you have posted some superb Jupiter images. And thanks Martyn for stepping up to the unenviable task of judging.

Well done both. Stunning images and videos, real show stoppers. 👍👍🥇

Thanks to Martyn for stepping in and doing a fantastic job too! 👍🥇👍

• 2 weeks later...