• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M27 on a frustrating evening

Stu

Hammering it down here as well, sounds nice on the conservatory roof though

33 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Still more than a decent result.

Heavy rain here in Derby now......โ˜”

ย 

Stu,

ย I think you did a great job there.. I think that there are some improvements that can be made to winkle out a better shot though. The colour balance is out, so what I did was to use levels and curves in Photoshop to balance them out. This is the result..

ย 

Colours Balanced

ย 

What I did was look at the original histogram, which looked like this..

Original Histogram

ย I first of all went into levels. I selected "blue" rather than "RGB" and "nipped in" that gap at the left hand "black point" side or the blue graph. I then went into curves slected green and stretched it upwards a bit, and blue and stretched it down a little bit.

The final histogram looks liked this..

Final Histogram

Which is not perfect, but a lot more balanced.

ย 

This wasn't meant in any way to be a criticism, hope this helps. PM me if you need to discuss it..

2 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

This wasn't meant in any way to be a criticism, hope this helps. PM me if you need to discuss it..

All help is welcome. I think I PM'd you but my phone had a fit. If it hasn't come through let me know ๐Ÿ‘

With an image like that which is mostly sky background I will set the peaks of the histograms to the same ADU value such that none of the histograms to the left of the peaks are 'cut-off'. With my processing software that just involves offseting the RGB channels by a linear value but I'm not sure if it can only be achieved using 'curves' in other software?ย  That normally gives a reasonably correct RGB colour balance starting point which can then be tweeked using curves.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

All help is welcome. I think I PM'd you but my phone had a fit. If it hasn't come through let me know ๐Ÿ‘

Didn't get anything Stu. Have just sent you a PM on this site, which you can reply to

ย