• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Using DSLR as webcam

dawson

I'm really sorry for starting another thread. I think I've finally got onto the learning curve and it's steeper than I thought.

My understanding is that registax ideally takes *.avi or *.mpg footage and takes the area of interest from each frame to stack them and make a nice clear image. [i've yet to do this as I don't have have a webcam capable of this, but I've ordered a hopefully "cheap and cheerful" one off ebay]

My two questions are:

1. Part a: if I take video footage with my Canon EOS 600d, can I then convert the *.mov file on my computer into an *.avi or *.mpg file and achieve the same effect? Part b: can I trick my DSLR to just take *.avi or *.mpg format in the first place, without having it connected to the laptop at the time of filming?

2. Part a: will registax cope with the fact that the subject I am interested in (eg Jupiter) might not stay in the same place between frames (ie if my tracking isn't great)? Part b: will it show me all the frames so I can easily delete the ones where there is major blurring etc?

Thanks for any replies.

James

P.S. I'm not very bright when it comes to these kind of technical things.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, tried capturing some video on my DSLR last night through the telescope. The stacked image and details of Jupiter are in my gallery (not sure how to link that image to here).

I have since found out that the camera was recording video at 23 frames per second, but I can change it to 50 fps by changing the movie recording size from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, so I'll try that next time.

I converted the *mov file the camera made to *.avi on my desktop with some freeware, and then ran it through registax, and it all went well.

I clearly need to have lots more practice with both the image capturing and the image processing, but I am pleased with my very first attempt.

Registax has lots of things to tweak, and I really need to sit down with someone who knows it well and get a practice guide how to use it better and what all of the functions do.

James

Hi James - we just got back from Kelling last night. Had a look at your gallery - some good first attempts there :)

I've found the DVD for you this afternoon so I'll get that sent off to you asap.

Guest wisewoman

Hi James,

I have captured images of jupiter using a webcam. Also the webcam should really by of the CCD type as opposed to the more common CMOS type. http://webcamastronomy.com/webcams.html

I used Registax and yes you are correct - you 'define' Jupiter and then registrax recognises the section you want in each of the frames and stacks them. As far as I can remember you can delete frames, infact I think there's a tool in Registax that does that for you automatically (dont quote me on that though)

This was my result - using a Logitech Quickcam one (not as good as the Phillips CCD ones)

36ppj.jpg

Melissa