• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Double Luna and shadow transit of Jupiter from the 26th of October 2022.

Graham

Wow Graham that looks great!
You captured a busy event what with the Great Red Spot (GRS), transiting Ganymede and Europa - and their shadows! Io was occulted by Jupiter at the same time! It is great to see a vid of the event, it reminds us that stuff up there is always on the move. 👍

I had been looking forward to seeing this event for a few weeks leading up to it. SkySafari 6 pro was spot on with the timings and action.

I and a couple of other MSAS members were on our 24” dob Society scope that night and we watched these events taking place. It was cloudy but still great to see the transits and then a Wow moment as we watched Ganymede re-appear as it exited the face of Jupiter, leaving it’s shadow blazing across the face of Jupiter.

Its come out really nicely Graham. The size difference between the 2 moons is quite striking isn't it ??

Pleased you got to see it, it was quite a murky evening here ; i could only just see Jupiter with the naked eye, so abandoned any idea of setting up the scope.

Next time........

That’s pretty awesome. As Steve said it is great to see it all on the move. I agree Rob, you  really can see the difference in size too. Thanks for your efforts Graham