• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Some common fungi

Bino-viewer

Great images Rob, I've never seen so many different fungi, love the fly agarics and that yellow one is really different. We normally have some fungi growing on the green opposite us but I've not seen any yet this year though I keep looking for them. 

Good specimens there Rob, I go out most mornings with a camera to take fungii pics but this year I seem to be too late as they have been nibbled by mice, slugs etc.

Is Allestree Woods what used to be Allestree Park, which is now being re-wilded? Cath and I are fancying a visit..

Thanks all. When i was young i was always interested in fungi at this time of the year, so hopefully this will reawaken my interest in them.

Ironically, although my other half loves mushrooms with almost anything, i never touch them at all. Must have skipped a generation with me, as my mum loved them too.

@Derbyshire Dave this is Allestree Park, which is where the old golf course was.

A bit sad really ; i used to enjoy a round of golf there in my heyday, it opened in the 50's and shut in 2018 i think.

The course has simply been abandoned. Re-wilding to me is simply an 'in' phrase meaning it can be left to rack and ruin : managed decline,

then in a few more years of neglect, they'll build a housing estate on it. We shall see.

Allestree woods are to the west of the course at its high point. Quarndon lies to the north west (the posh area, houses in 7 figure territory)

Its a nice walk around the whole perimeter. The lake area is very nice too. Unfortunately Allestree Hall in the centre has also been abandoned pretty much.

Plenty of Fly Agaric there. They seem to like Silver Birch tree areas on dry, higher ground with good drainage.

There are plenty of groups of them up there, and there were literally dozens of Fly Agarics. But maybe they have peaked now and are past their best ?

Well worth a visit if you are in the neighbourhood. Free parking up there as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

... The lake area is very nice too...

What's the state of the lake these days? I used to fish there regularly in my early teens during the late 60s.

Me too Clive, except for me it was the late 70s.

I'm not much of a fisherman, but have pulled a few Silver Bream, and Roach out of there.

I think its still used for fishing ; there are plenty of pegs around the lake.

In my day you were never allowed to fish on the south side (in front of the houses) or the west side, and i think thats still the case today.

It was the same when I used to go there, I normally fished at the same peg each time on the north-east corner of the lake. It was full of Tench, my biggest was over 4lb.

• Like 1