• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fustration :(

dawson

Drove around a bit tonight looking for somewhere to park up, away from the city lights, but didn't manage to find anywhere.

Came home, set up in the garden which has a limited view of the sky, but did a really tight two star alignment (I'm getting good at that, and quicker), and then the neighbours outside light came on, and once it finally went off a mass of cloud had appeared.

So annoying.

I really do need to live somewhere remote, and ideally have the telescope fixed and needing minimal set up time.

Disheartened, Nottingham

:)

James

James.

How far would you be willing to travel?

If you become a member of our dark site group (£20 a year - bargain) then you will have access to our dark sites. Sawley is closest to you but that is behind a locked gate and requires a key holder to be present, but the Belper site is open to any dark site member nearly 365 nights a year!

I live in Hucknall and can get to Belper in 35 minutes, I'm thinking for you it may be a 45-50 minute drive either way, is that too far?

The skies at our Belper dark site are awesome on a good night.

Hi James, yup know where you are coming from, I have a leisure centre 500m away.

I would suggest you have a look at this, a light pollution map, scroll down and the lower map is interactive, you can zoom in and click and drag it.

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/wordpress/?page_id=127

I think if you wanted somewhere not too far away, it looks like anywhere just the other side of the A46 would be good.

Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

I've always struggled with Light Pollution, used to have a 16" light bucket, so you could imagine how much pollution that sucked in.

As Daz says, Belper is your best shot, it's secure, safe and dark.

Lot's of people go up there on a Friday night, just join them.

Guest Tweedledum

HI James,

We have all been there !!. I am from north wales and they have just imported electricity, but the skies are still dark there. I have resorted to Hammeriting the rear of a lampost near me and that has done the trick, a great dark garden!.

As above Belper is terriffic, but there are other souls near you with dark spots and would be happy to share a bit of garden!!.

Persist, its worth it.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words. I feel less depressed today. It was just one night; I've got a life-time ahead of me of this.

The pollution map is really useful, thank you. I'm currently using that, and Google Earth to identify places nearer to me. Belper sounds ideal, but is a bit of a trek. But I haven't discounted it.

If I find somewhere which has possibilities I might go and find the farmer and see if I can get his/her permission to set up there as and when, in exchange for copies of any good images I might eventually capture! Who could resist that offer!

Thanks again for the help.

James

it can be very annoying hobby sometimes, i`ve had plenty of nights setting up, which takes me ages because i forget what to do and have to start again and am very unorganised, but when you do get a good night from a dark sky it keeps you going for months and makes it all worth while

Well, a really productive day, after a frustrating night.

I spent most of the morning identifying potential locations on normal maps in conjunction with the light pollution map. Then went and explored. I excluded most of the possibilities, but four remain.

I met several farmers, and spoke to several more on the phone, and I've got permission for two locations, and I'm chasing up the other two.

I've no idea yet if the sites will be any good on a clear night, and at least two of them will be tricky when the ground gets muddy, but it's a good start.

Things are looking up!

James

And I got a head light from Home Front for £1.99 and some red nail varnish for £1 and painted the lens and it looks very professional; I'm just worried the second coat of varnish might have been too much and now I still won't be able to see a thing!

James

Well the site is just one part of it as you know. There is still my ignornce and poor technique to combat, along with equipment issues, weather, my day-time job....

:)

James