• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello to you all !

Guest flames UK

Guest flames UK

Hi , im Carl from Coalville

Really new to astronomy and have just purchased my first scope 😄although finding my light polluted sky an annoyance but not off putting .

HELLO TO ALL

Hi Carl and welcome to EMS.

What scope have you gone for (if you don't mind me asking)

Anyway, hope you enjoy the forum.

Guest flames UK

Hi daz , I've got a skywatcher 8" dob as thought would be easy to get started with . I'm now seeing what light pollution really means now , back yard isn't great , think I need to get out with it

Thanks for the welcome !

Hi Carl, a warm welcome to EMS.

As you may have noticed, we have two dark sites, one at Sawley, and the other a bit further away at Belper. You would be very welcome to come and see what you think, the first visit is free, and after that it's a subscription of £20 a year.

The Sawley site is secure and needs a key holder to be there for getting in. The Belper site is accessible all year, apart from match nights, which will probably be tailing off now.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have and someone will be along to help.

Enjoy the forum.

That's a great choice of scope and will keep you busy for a good while.

Daz will point you in the right direction to get the best out of it.

If you don't already have it, download Stellarium, a great free planetarium program.

http://www.stellarium.org/

Welcome to the obsession.

Guest flames UK

Hi Baz , thanks for the welcome

Finding the forum great for getting a bit more know how , would be great to come to meets , il keep an eye out for the dates 😃

Just take a look at my signature, it is almost law that you have to mod a dob, I found mine in its standard format allmost unusable, the pads the dob base sits on were useless, so they got changed!

Like Martyn says, any questions just ask, or pm me for any questions regarding upgrades etc.

Guest flames UK

Sounds good pat , she's taking a good interest n we tend to try to do things together , she'l be happy to hear that other ladies attend , one of those things where a bit nervous the first time

Nothing to be nervous about, where all harmless and don't bite (hard) - lol.

(all though you need to keep an eye out for Sheila, lovely cakes but mad as a hatter)

I'm soooooo in trouble when she reads this!