• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

StarXTerminator

Stu

Hi folks. Anyone got experience with this plugin? Apparently it works for Affinity so was wondering if it's something people use and whether it's a worthwhile tool to have. I was originally looking at GradientXTerminator but there's already a background removal tool in Affinity which seems to work quite well. 

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Hi folks. Anyone got experience with this plugin? Apparently it works for Affinity so was wondering if it's something people use and whether it's a worthwhile tool to have. I was originally looking at GradientXTerminator but there's already a background removal tool in Affinity which seems to work quite well. 

I've taken the plunge for Pixinsight and it works very well, as you'd hope for a paid-for add on. StarNet all well and good and works well, but StarXterminator definitely an improvement. YMMV and I have no idea how it would work with Affinity.

15 minutes ago, Clive said:

Does StarXTerminator work with linear data? One of my gripes with Starnet is the data has to be stretched.

This is what the notes say, so I guess it does?

PixInsight

Use StarXTerminator as early in the processing flow as possible, ideally right after integration, with the data still in a linear state (i.e., prior to any stretching). This will generally produce the best results, and gives the added flexibility of being able to stretch the starless and stars images separately depending on the desired end result.

Photoshop

Use StarXTerminator prior to any major processing of the image. The effectiveness and quality of the result from StarXTerminator will be adversely affected by any processing that significantly alters star profiles.