• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Classical Cassegrain

Glafnazur

I am thinking of swapping my planetary set up from the Bresser 127 Mak to a Stellalyra 6" f/12 Classical Cassegrain, has anyone got any experience of using a Classical Cassegrain? 

You might have more imput over on SGL Dave. Quite a few users on there.

I think they have a very good reputation amongst users ; both the 6" and the 8" models.

They are definitely mid to higher power scopes, with a big focal length, so you'd be a bit tied into a tight field of view.

The open ended tube is a big plus for cooldown, but beware, all those baffles can take some cooling down as well.

My only other concern would be collimation (i don't do collimation much these days) and quite a big central obstruction which may reduce contrast a bit, but aperture makes up for that.

I also personally prefer a 'spike free view' that the Mak / SCT / Frac gives you, but thats just my own personal view.

Its an interesting optical design isn't it, and they are pretty good value for money.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Edited by Bino-viewer

8 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

You might have more imput over on SGL Dave. Quite a few users on there.

I think they have a very good reputation amongst users ; both the 6" and the 8" models.

They are definitely mid to higher power scopes, with a big focal length, so you'd be a bit tied into a tight field of view.

The open ended tube is a big plus for cooldown, but beware, all those baffles can take some cooling down as well.

My only other concern would be collimation (i don't do collimation much these days) and quite a big central obstruction which may reduce contrast a bit, but aperture makes up for that.

I also personally prefer a 'spike free view' that the Mak / SCT / Frac gives you, but thats just my own personal view.

Its an interesting optical design isn't it, and they are pretty good value for money.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it.

I've had a look on SGL and as far as I can tell they all seem to be very positive. 

It would mainly be for lunar, planetary and double stars so the small field of view won't be a problem. I have had a look and the field of view is very similar between the two scopes. The shorter cooldown is one of the reasons I'm thinking of making the swap as the Bresser 127 Mak takes quite a long while. Also I am really not keen on the focuser knob on the Mak and the CC has a 2" focuser. I did look at changing the focuser on the Mak but it was quite expensive and there was a long wait time.

Yes focusers everywhere seem to be in short supply.

All down to supply chain issues with raw material shortages.

I don't really understand why ?

Food for thought there Rob, the weight is something I'd not really thought too much about, it is almost twice the weight of the Mak.  

Ive got the Stellalyra 12" f/12 Classical Cassegrain if you want to pop up for a look Dave, i find the views crisp and collimation is a doddle once you have cracked it..weight on the other hand....well its a lump 😁

32 minutes ago, Brady said:

Ive got the Stellalyra 12" f/12 Classical Cassegrain if you want to pop up for a look Dave, i find the views crisp and collimation is a doddle once you have cracked it..weight on the other hand....well its a lump 😁

Thanks Wayne, I'd love to pop up, unfortunately I don't drive so I'd be catching buses and my wife's due out of hospital today and she will need a lot of care going forward.