• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EQ 5 BEARING MOD. Not one for the faint hearted.

Graham

After stripping my EQ5 down for a service a while ago I was dumbstruck to find that the Dec axis does not run on any bearings. :o

All that keeps the Dec axis running smooth are a couple of Nylon washers on the clutch drum the rest is just metal on metal. :wacko:

It was at that point I decided it had to be changed.

Well its now a couple of weeks down the line my guiding is going south well East to be precise and I have had enough. :angry:

Last night I took advantage of the poor weather and stripped my mount down to its last piece ready for today.

First thing this morning I took a trip to my local Bearing suppliers.

After an hour of searching through books and computer files we came to the conclusion that a drop in Bearing was not available. :(

The problem is the size of the casting around the Polar scope aperture

There is not a Bearing made that will fit over the casting but still fit inside the mount.

Not to be perturbed I decided if I could not buy one I would just have to make it myself. :)

So I left the Bearing suppliers £15.00 lighter with a Bearing to fit the bottom of the axis and 50 4mm Ball Bearings.

Back in the shop I set about creating a one off EQ 5 mount.

First thing to do was manufacture a spigot so I could hold the Dec shaft in the Lathe.

Then I machined down the lower shaft to take the new Bearing.

Now on to the tricky bit.

I machined a piece of steel bar down to create the Bearing races.

After these were made I loaded them up with the Ball Bearings so I could measure the total width of my newly created Bearing.

Then it was time to bite the bullet and machine the top boss which sits just below the clutch drum.

One mistake at this point and I was looking at buying a new mount. :wacko:

Taking cuts of 10 thousand on an inch I slowly machined the Boss down to accept the Bearing.

The final task was to machine the base of the body to accept the lower Bearing on the Dec shaft.

After several deep breaths a mug of Coffee and a couple of ciggies I set about rebuilding the mount.

With an ample supply of new grease I loaded up the Dec shaft into the body of the mount.

Gentle tension on the locking collar and the difference is incredible.

The Dec axis now spins freely with no tight spots or any binding what so ever. :) :) :)

All that is left to do when I get home is refit the motors and give it a test.

What I have created is basically a light weight HEQ 5.

This is a mod you could take on your self but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the facilities of a fully equipped workshop and may be just a touch of insanity.

Thanks

Graham.

Astrotec Limited

Edited by Graham

Looks good, will be interesting to see how it performs when it is back up and running.

Is it an upgrade that you would be willing to do for others wishing to purchase such an upgrade?

Looks good, will be interesting to see how it performs when it is back up and running.

Is it an upgrade that you would be willing to do for others wishing to purchase such an upgrade?

That is a good question.

I think with the time it took me someone would be better off looking for a second hand HEQ 5.

If they made a Bearing that would fit then it would be economically viable.

But with me having to make the Bearing the cost in my time would not make it worth it.

Graham, you are bonkers!!!!

But congratulations, fingers crossed all goes well.

Hi Darren this has been pointed out to me on several occasions. lol

Nice one. When I stripped my old EQ5 down I wasn't that impressed with the build.

A new sideline....EQ5 to MEQ5......Modified EQ5

Nice one. When I stripped my old EQ5 down I wasn't that impressed with the build.

A new sideline....EQ5 to MEQ5......Modified EQ5

:D :D :D

AMEQ5 Astrotec Modd EQ5,coldyou not source that bearing some where, or did you exhaust that side of it

Pat

No it just not made Pat.

That's awesome graham!! Oh if only i could have your skills!! :)

Thanks Felix.

You could learn to do this stuff it only takes time and practice.

Well, I know very little about engineering, and it just never occurred to me that a ball bearing race could be successfully manufactured as a one off special.

The fact that you had to use extremely high precision to make this fit and work properly, and chanced ruining the whole mount if it wasn't perfect, really takes some confidence and skill.

Love the way you just get on and do something like that, as if it was a walk in the park :) .

Thanks Felix.

You could learn to do this stuff it only takes time and practice.

I don't think so graham-as they some people have got it and some people don't! You have definitely got it! :)

Too kind people you have to bear in mind I have been doing this for over 35 years now, its like I said Felix time and practice.