• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mewion telescopes

Speed

Hi  Just wondering if anyone has experiences with Mewion  telescopes   ?   some say they are very good planetary   scopes  

Speed 

I, for a time, was actually interested in one (possibly the 180, more likely the 210)

But collimation and cooldown worries put me off. Cooldown being the major factor.

Then you read about the focuser, and the diffraction spikes.

It would have been different maybe, had i had my own observatory.

That doesn't mean to say i don't like them, and the scope enthusiast in me would still like one someday.

The Celestron Edge HD 8" / 9.25" is a competitor and similarly priced.

I did have an 8" Edge myself a few years ago, but sold it, and have regretted it a bit.

I remember a thread over on CN last year discussing this, and Daniel Mounsey himself (who is a Takahashi guru over in the US)

actually advised me not to get one (considering my local conditions and other factors)  and stick with what i have. 

That's what i've done. I don't think i'll ever join the Takahashi club now. Some regret there......

I have had a look through one a good few years ago at Kelling cracking views of jupiter and saturn - mainly saturn as it was quite high.

Edited by Ibbo

Hi   Thanks  I have been doing some research over the last few hours and concur with all you have said    so I don`t think that is the way to go  for me  in the future 

Regards Speed 

Just thinking of when the Intes gets a bit too much  to  handle    old age starting to creep up 🤣

This is an interesting talk, from the man himself (Dr D) regarding Mewlon cooldown.

Ok, this is the huge Mewlon 250 he's talking about here, but its still relevant.

1 hour ago, Speed said:

Just thinking of when the Intes gets a bit too much  to  handle    old age starting to creep up 🤣

You need an observatory! I struggle even to get my EQM35 out these days but if I still had my observatory I would be out every clear night!