• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Electrical/Electronics question

Stu

Hi folks. I have an 240Wh power station for out in the field and have a query. Everything runs through my Pegasus hub, which is running off their power supply and that plugs into the AC outlet on the power station. If the power monitor in the Pegasus unity hub is anything to go by, I'm definitely not getting anywhere near the stated battery life from the PS. Am I losing anything by running off the AC outlet? It has 12v outlets I could use as an alternative, it would just mean more cables dangling. Or is it just a big pile of 💩 and I should've stumped up for the Anker PS. 

I'm assuming the basic power behind the 'power station' is a 12V DC battery?  If you are then converting that to 240V AC I doubt you will get much more than 80% power efficency. Then, if your Pegasus hub is reconverting that 240V AC back to 12V DC (or whatever DC voltage) you could be getting only another 80% power efficiency, so a total of just 64%. Therefore that original battery capacity of 240Wh will be reduced to only 154Wh for use (the other 86Wh being dissipated as heat!)

Edited by Clive
Typo

23 minutes ago, RonC said:

Well surely the 12v outlets are DC which is what I run my NEQ6 on..?

Ron

They are, it just keeps things simpler if I have 1 cable from the PS to the hub. 

14 minutes ago, Clive said:

I'm assuming the basic power behind the 'power station' is a 12V DC battery?  If you are then converting that to 240V AC I doubt you will get much more than 80% power efficency. Then, if your Pegasus hub is reconverting that 240V AC back to 12V DC (or whatever DC voltage) you could be getting only another 80% power efficiency, so a total of just 64%. Therefore that original battery capacity of 240Wh will be reduced to only 154Wh for use (the other 86Wh being dissipated as heat!)

That may explain in. It is a 12V Li battery, going from DC to AC then back to DC. 

A rethink of my setup is required by the sounds of it. At least when I'm not on mains power anyway. 

Edited by Stu

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

...That may explain in. It is a 12V Li battery, going from DC to AC then back to DC. 

Certainly avoid going from DC to AC then back to DC, I'm sure your power requirements are purely DC so remove the AC stage. If nothing else, 12V DC is a lot safer to play with in damp conditions than 240V AC!

...At least when I'm not on mains power anyway...

If you're running off mains power at home then an AC/DC converter (ie power supply) at the front end shouldn't be a problem (other than slightly bigger electric bill) and it would mean that the home and remote setup would be identical.

I was thinking about rejigging everything anyway to make it simpler to set up. 

Thanks for the info 👍

Further to this the 240v will not have an earth as it is a synthasised voltage generated by an inverter. This could be a bit sketchy if things got damp or damaged.

The damp conditions element hadn't occurred to me but good shout people, I really should've picked up on that. 

It's made me rethink my rejigging. I want to bring the PC and hub off the OTA so this should make it easier to sort the power out as the hub won't be moving around. 

If the number of cables is a problem, you can get cable loom tubing to wrap round everything - try searching for "split wire loom tubing" on Amazon to see what I mean. 

I use it on my 3D printers to tidy things up yet still remain flexible.

Thanks, I'll check it out. That would also simplify setting up if they're bunched together.