• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Gilbert :(

catman161

So last night Katie and I had to take Gilbert to the 24 hour emergency vets as he started making the most heart wrenching noises and having what appeared to be stomach spasms.

We got him to the vets and they gave him a general anaesthetic and two doses of pethidine (a drug normally given to women in labour!) for the pain he was in. That set us back £500.

This morning he was transferred to our vets. He phoned me this morning. Gilbert was in urinary retention, refluxing to his kidneys causing the pain. Turns out when the dog attacked him and mauled his penis that as it has been over healing and now he can't go. Today he is having further surgery to create a new opening where he can urinate from. He'll stay in overnight and then we pick him up tomorrow. Let's hope this is the end of his problems.

Thanks guys. Plus surgery today I think am looking at another £500-750 :( glad they're insured. The thing is just gotta front the cash then claim it back which takes a few weeks. Oh it never rains but it poors :(

Felix,

Push the point with your vet and ask them to claim directly. They can do this, they just normally have a "policy" of not wanting to. I know this from experience.

I hope he's better soon.

Well no kelling for me :(

Picked Gilbert up from vets, all looked dandy. Get him home and into his temporary enclosure and he starts making weird noises an weeing blood again!! This is after the procedure they had supposedly carried out to fix it!

Rushed him back to vets and they do a manual bladder emptying procedure to which gilbert mightily objects. They diagnose that he is very sore and the muscles around urethra very cramped and tight so they prescribe diazepam!! Go figure, Gilbert and I are on the same medication-mine for my back him for his downstairs mix up! :)

So gutted was really looking forward to kelling. Skies are supposed to be crystal clear tonight too :(

Main thing is that Gilbert is ok. Still gotta take him back tomorro though for another check up. Getting close to a grand spent on him in last couple of days-that's an NEQ6 PRO!!!! ;)

Edited by catman161

Bad luck Felix but you have to get your priorities straight. Thing is, the universe is not going anywhere, there is still EMS1 and I'm sure Kelling is going nowhere soon.

Really hope Gilbert is on the mend (and yourself)

Thanks guys. Took Gilbert for his check up yesterday. Not good. Was in urinary retention and kidney reflux again so admitted to the very expensive animal hospital for catheter and IV fluids again yesterday. Gotta call today at 10am see how he's doing.

Vet said if keeps reoccurring there is an operation that could fix it but is fraught with difficulty and there's a possibility of multiple post operative problems for Gilbert and he has had 3 general anaesthetics now and that we should have euthanasia in the back of our minds :(. He's only 6. Just hoping he pulls through and starts being able to wee by himself again soon. He is insured but we're just about hitting the ceiling on what our insurers will pay out annually for a single incident. Tough times ahead for all. Poor little guy :(

Gotta make a tough decision in next couple of days. Gilbert not doing well at all. On the outside he is behaving like he normally does, purring showing affection but inside his kidneys are shutting down.

He still in animal hospital on IV fluids with a catheter in. Pick him up tomorrow morning to take back to regular vet to discuss one final surgical (risky) procedure but that will be 4 general anaesthetics in as many days. He's only 6 years old bless him and Katie and I are now faced with the prospect of having to have him have a risky surgery where he may suffer with the pain of the procedure then post op problems or having him put to sleep :(

Bad times indeed :(8e7e7uzy.jpg

Such a loving beautiful, big cat (nearly 8 kg) am so torn at the moment :(

Edited by catman161