• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Encoder + DSC = ?

Stu

Hi folks. I was browsing FLO and saw an encoder kit for the Bresser/ES/Astro Essentials Twilight mount, which I have. Does that, plus a DSC turn it into a go-to mount?

Not a goto, no.

The encoders will work with the DSC and will help you MANUALLY locate any objects, by simple 'pushing to' where you want to go.

No motors as such are involved.

My own manual mount (an American DM-6) works exactly the same way.

Encoders and basic DSC units have been around for years.

Its only the last few that we have seen a big serge in popularity of simple easy to use alt-az mounts.

And company's like Astro Devices in Australia have been instrumental in using encoders with modern DSC units

that are both easy to use, very accurate, and that have in-built wifi to work with phone and tablet planetarium software,

and not only can be used in these mounts but also work with mass produced Dobsonian reflectors as well.

The DSC computer in question  : the Nexus - is excellent and i can highly recommend it, and was a game changer for me

as an observer.

https://www.astrodevices.com/index.html

15 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

The DSC computer in question  : the Nexus - is excellent and i can highly recommend it, and was a game changer for me

as an observer.

I second that. A great piece of kit.

Definitely going to file that away for later. I was thinking about selling the mount but I really like it. This would be a great upgrade! And as you say, the Nexus can be used elsewhere.