• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Comet observation

Adam Firth

Last night I was doing some training at sherwood observatory and got the 6" skywatcher startravel out to try and find c/2022 E3 ZTF. Unfortunately couldn't find it with that but then we got the 24" reflector woken up, opened up the dome and got it in that. I could just about see the tail off of a fuzzy patch in the sky but it wasn't that sharp (old optics). I had a look on Friday night as well through my 70mm ed scope, it was easy to see but couldn't get any detail. I then tried to image it but my t adaptor was a little broken so couldn't get any decent images and it wouldn't let me stack what I had due to the poor stars. Still happy that I've been able to see it though, hopefully I'll get a couple more chances before it goes for another 50,000 years.

I think its due to pass Kochab (the bright red star in Ursa minor) on the 28th Jan.

Then it will be close to Capella in Auriga about a week later iirc ? Someone posted a map of it somewhere, but i can't locate it ?

I've had a go from home to see if i could see it, but was unsuccessful : probably washed out in all the LP

Hi Adam, I am always very sceptical how the media bangs on about how this will be a naked eye object and be the best thing since sliced bread. I guess if you couldn't get a good visual in a 24" then it won't be that good. It probably will be a binocular object, but I think the public will be disappointed this celestial firework won't go off. 

12 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I think its due to pass Kochab (the bright red star in Ursa minor) on the 28th Jan.

Then it will be close to Capella in Auriga about a week later iirc ? Someone posted a map of it somewhere, but i can't locate it ?

I've had a go from home to see if i could see it, but was unsuccessful : probably washed out in all the LP

I was going to try for it but it's right in the lights from Derby from my back garden. If it does go near Capella then I may be able to see it.

1 hour ago, RonC said:

I think the first 2 weeks in February will produce a more 'visible' object..

That's two weeks of guaranteed cloud then Ron  ☁️☁️☁️☁️😄 

19 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Yeah I'm hoping the weather isn't too bad so I can have another go. Doesn't look good here atm though.

10 hours ago, BAZ said:

Hi Adam, I am always very sceptical how the media bangs on about how this will be a naked eye object and be the best thing since sliced bread. I guess if you couldn't get a good visual in a 24" then it won't be that good. It probably will be a binocular object, but I think the public will be disappointed this celestial firework won't go off. 

It's always the same isn't it. I saw an article about an asteroid just discovered that will pass 2000 odd miles from earth and they were bigging it up but its only 8m across so not exactly mindblowing. I will add a caveat though that where it was positioned at the time was quite low and almost directly above an amazon warehouse so that washed it out a lot no doubt.

Edited by Adam Firth

Tonight its close to star RR Ursa Minor.

Look for Kochab, down 2 or 3 deg, then right about 1 deg. Easy to find, and i was using my 15x50 binocs.

Its currently magnitude +5.8