• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF) on the 31st January 2023

Magellan Boy

large.C2022_E3_ZTF_AG12_MCU_20x1min_310123.jpg.8f0ca1da1aed46274cf035f80ebd81d9.jpg

Comet C2022 E3 ZTF on the evening of the 31st January 2023. Stack of 20 x 1 minute exposures. Mallincam Universe camera, AG12 scope. Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker. Processed in Nebulosity.

• Like 3

Cheers Dave. Interestingly, despite having 30 minutes of data, Deep Sky Stacker only included the star field from the first exposure. Not that it's an aesthetic issue.

Looks good mike.

It just shows how quickly its moving, looking at the star trails if these are only 60s exposures : and these are zenith stars as well. Polaris isn't too far away from here.

Have i got that right ?  Is the mount tracking the stars , or the comet ??

I'm hoping for some clear(ish) skies over the weekend so I can have a crack at imaging this comet.

32 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Looks good mike.

It just shows how quickly its moving, looking at the star trails if these are only 60s exposures : and these are zenith stars as well. Polaris isn't too far away from here.

Have i got that right ?  Is the mount tracking the stars , or the comet ??

Hi Rob, the mount is tracking the comet, so in each sub the stars will have trailed. Despite stacking the comet, DSS only included the star trails from the first of the subs though. I used the comet+stars option in the comet stacking options.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Glafnazur said:

I'm hoping for some clear(ish) skies over the weekend so I can have a crack at imaging this comet.

Best of luck Dave! Let's hope the weather cooperates.