• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Wobbly hands

Hi folks. I've got a pair of 10x42 bins and unless I'm leaning on something the stars dance around a lot. Would swapping them for a pair of 8x make much difference?

I've got some 8x40s and find that I can hold them pretty steadily. I have some 16x80s too and they really need a tripod to get the best out of them. I find if I lean against something I can I hold them steady for a while but not long. I use the 8x40s quite often, especially if I'm imaging.

I have used 10x40s quite a lot and initially found  the same as you. Yep a tripod is the ultimate answer for stability and some folks can get away with them but I find them restrictive, e.g. try viewing at the zenith with a pair of straight through binos on a tripod, I know I can do it and I am sure there are a lot of others who find it difficult too. I have got a monster Slik tripod which can extend to 7 foot which helps a little but the zenith is still unobtainable.

I find the best kit with bino observing is a garden lounger where you can comfortably lie back tucking your elbows into your chest for extra support and if the lounger has arms, use them for support. I have tried a combo of lounger and tripod in the past but its a heck of a faff and easier with just the lounger.

Thanks. The tripod isn't really an option, maybe if I had some bigger ones but I went for that size so I could just hold them and look around. The lounger idea is a good one, add a whisky to that and I'll be well away!

I might see if I can have a look through some 8x to see the difference. I definitely don't have any trouble with the 2.1x pair 😄

Or maybe these.......wobbles are no more ! Image stabilised binocs.

I have these 10x30s mainly for birding and nature. They are great for that, but a bit low powered for astro.

I also use an old pair of 15x50s for astro that are nearly 20yrs old (2004) and they've never missed a beat.

IMG_3303

Finally i have another non image stabilised pair of Fujinon 7x50s that are really nice and optically very good indeed. 

They are excellent but a bit heavy after a while !! They are even older from 2002.

Fujinon 7x50s

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Image stabilised binocs

I never even knew they existed, most fancy! I'd have a hard time convincing my better half that they were £50 😄 If we end up meeting then I'd be very interested in having a look. 

Higher mag isn't a concern really as I just like scanning the sky while the imaging gear is hogging my scope. 

Yes, and when i said 10x30 are 'a bit low powered for astro' i should have said the aperture (30mm in this case) is a bit small, which it is.

50mm is much better.

And if i was thinking about mounting some binocs, i'd really want 70mm (or even 80mm) aperture, with decent optics,  to make it worthwhile.

I've got the vortex crossfire hd and I'm happy with the optics. They do them in 8x42 and 10x50 as well 🤔 The 50mm are about 200g heavier than mine which are more than comfortable to hold. I think I'll probably be swapping them for one of those options.