• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

star diagonal or prism

Speed

A long time ago I took the decision that I wanted all my optics to show me the world as it is: right way up and right way round, like binoculars.  The only way to do that on a scope is to use an Amici prism (aka pentaprism in photography circles).  Expensive and slightly dimmer than a good mirror but I think it's worth it.large.APM-tree-17-sideon.jpg.d93998367d64941b3a813589d9e8652a.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speed said:

sorry    DC 100- DZ   F/8

Oooooh, very nice 😊

(I think you mean the FC 100 DZ ?)

If so, congratulations. You have a beautiful scope there. They have an excellent reputation. And its a Tak !!  Please feel free to share lots of photos of it.......🙂

Back to your original posting......opinion by those in the know, generally stated a mirror diagonal worked best in 'faster' refractors , such as F5 - F6.

With a slower scope, i don't think it matters quite so much.

I'd be looking at a good quality mirror from one of the main players.......such a Baader Planetarium. 

This one in the link below is a beautiful example :

Its build quality is amazing and it will hold heavy 2" glass effortlessly and securely with the excellent click-lock design.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/baader-clicklock-2-dielectric-star-diagonal.html

Alot depends on what you want to observe ?  Do you want to do some terrestrial observing, and require a correctly orientated image that Bryan likes above ?

If so you need an Amici. But they can be hard to make well, and are expensive as a result.

With astro, for me it doesn't matter so much, (i don't 'star-hop') so i'm used to the 'mirror reversed' view you get with refractors.

• Like 1

Make sure your finderscope is the same orientation as your main scope.  Nothing worse than an unreversed finder and a mirror-image scope.

Hi   I haven`t got it yet  but will soon ... just getting feed back on the things I need to get  to enhance it  luckily I can use the  EQ6 i have  for the Intes MN76  ( too heavy now to manage with my back issues hence the smaller TAK     I don`t have any 2" eye pieces all are 1.25   

no just the OTA   reports say the cheaper   Tak diagonal  isn`t brilliant  and plastic .. the 10th wave is £500  

Does it (the scope) come with the 'accessory package' ??

ie Finderscope 6x30 plus bracket and tube cradle.

Tak finderscopes are of excellent quality as you would expect, and really go with the aesthetics of the scope.

But they are 'straight through' ie have no 90º diagonal. This is ok as long as you're not looking too high up,

as then it can get very uncomfortable rather quickly, especially if you have a bit of arthritis in your neck like i have.

I would personally experiment with finders and see what works best for you.

I much prefer a simple 'red-dot' type finder as they are so quick and easy. I don't even have mine on my scope.

I don't care for big bulky finders with all their bells and whistles, as they weigh a bit and are so so easy to knock out of alignment and adjusting them is difficult at the best of times.

See if you can join us on an observing meet once you get your scope and are all set up.

I have a diagonal or two you can try out and a spare red dot finder somewhere as well as an assortment of eyepieces.

HI  so I have a right angled finder off my Intes I may use and as for the diagonal there are many to choose from  but the Baader looks good and gets great reports ... oh well more saving to do 

thanks for the invite 

I have a baader zeiss amici prism in 1.25 I use with my little zeiss frac. I always think your components need to be of similar quality, no good putting light through £k of glass and then bounce it off a cheap mirror.  For luna its amazing, so much easier to identify the features and navigate around, as for deep sky, well I just get the dob out to be honest the view orientation really doesn't matter for dso.

edging towards the William Optics  2" Dura bright dielectric  at the moment   nice balance of quality and cost    

I've got the 1.25 WO Dura bright and it's a nice diagonal, however I've also got the 2" Baader clicklock and since getting that I've not used the WO diagonal unless I've been using the Bresser 127 mak as that only accepts 1.25". To me the Baader is definitely a step up and well worth the extra cost.