• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M51 The Whirlpool Galaxy

Derbyshire Dave

6 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

galaxy season .. which is not that far away

Lovely image. When is galaxy season?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Lovely image. When is galaxy season?

As the year progresses, the interesting nebulae in the milky way become no longer available. This coincides with the new availabillity of a lot of interesting galaxy..

Just googled this..

In the astrophotography realm, Galaxy Season refers to the period in Spring when the night sky offers up a buffet of incredible galaxies to observe and photograph. From early March until Mid-May, the window of opportunity for night-sky enthusiasts to photograph a wide variety of galaxies is at its best.

You had me at "buffet", I'm in 😁

With my 150-PDS, would I be better off using my 2.5x PM to image a lot of them?

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

You had me at "buffet", I'm in 😁

With my 150-PDS, would I be better off using my 2.5x PM to image a lot of them?

With and without could both be good depending on you target, and there are so many of them. If you look at something like Markarians Chain, a wider view will include more galaxies. Have you any sofware where you can specify your equipment and get a a rectangle on the star chart that you can move around to see what is included? i use Sky Safari Pro which ain't cheap but I love it. Not sure what the other packages do, but you could start a thread asking just that.. "Are there any free sky viewing packages which allow me to see my equipments field of view".

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astrophotography/galaxies/markarians-chain/

That's a new one to me, what a cool set of galaxies. 

I use stellarium on my PC to check fields of view on things. Other than a smaller FOV, would using 1.25" PM and adapter rather than 2"  have any negative effect?

14 hours ago, Stu said:

That's a new one to me, what a cool set of galaxies. 

I use stellarium on my PC to check fields of view on things. Other than a smaller FOV, would using 1.25" PM and adapter rather than 2"  have any negative effect?

Truth is I'm not sure if it would be significant. Would depend on the quiality of the probably.

I don't think you would notice either, it's the light grasp of the front end that matters with fuzzies for visual viewing.

• Like 1

Splendid image Dave, and you have nicely captured the 'plumes' coming off the companion galaxy NGC 5195.

• Thanks 1