• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

PAS 2023

Stu

I've just been made aware of the Practical Astronomy Show on March 11 (thanks @Streetbob), seeing as it's only 10 minutes down the road I might have a look. 

Who else is going?

FYI, this was a new and very successful trade show which launched in 2019.

Free to enter and free talks from a good range of speakers.

One could argue the talks put an emphasis on imaging, but there's really something for everyone with an interest in astronomy I think.

The 2019 show was excellent, but sadly the 2020 and 2021 events had to be caped due to Covid restrictions etc.

Last years 2022 event was good, although for me, not quite as good as the inaugural event.

The bad news for me is that i'm working so unless I can blag a day off, i may have to miss out. 

Info here if you've not seen it  ↙️

https://practicalastroshow.com

If you wish to see the talks, best get there early, ie queue up before 09:00 opening.

The talks, while free, are ticket entry as they can only sit so many in the theatre.

So if you get in early, pick up your tickets for the talks you want to see, then relax and enjoy the day. And spend lots of £££ 😧

Cool, thanks. I'll have a look at the talks, not been to any shows yet. 

I remember when that place had an awesome swimming pool with a wave machine, good times 😄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Cool, thanks. I'll have a look at the talks, not been to any shows yet. 

I remember when that place had an awesome swimming pool with a wave machine, good times 😄

Remember kids kingdom well took the lad there a few times when he was wee , I might go decide on the day seeing it’s next town ,do I really need owt 🤔 I usually buy used where I can , notice they haven’t released an update on who doing talks still showing last year’s listing 

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

do I really need owt 🤔

My purse strings will be well and truly tightened. Famous last words though. 

• Like 1

I've never been to any of these shows, they all seem to crop up when I'm skint. Do you get good discounts?

Me and a few of the DDAS members are planning to go. Hope to see if I can get a discount on a new imaging camera, or at least have a good drool at what's on display at the stands.

15 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

I've never been to any of these shows, they all seem to crop up when I'm skint. Do you get good discounts?

I think being skint is a symptom of this hobby. Usually about 10% discount and you get to see all the stuff you didn’t know you needed which become must haves.

3 hours ago, Streetbob said:

I think being skint is a symptom of this hobby. Usually about 10% discount and you get to see all the stuff you didn’t know you needed which become must haves.

Probably best I've never been to one then 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from PAS. It was good to see Bryan and Ron there. I bought a couple of 10mm Altair UF eyepieces for my binoviewer. I also thought I’d bought a Baader Neodymium filter from widescreen-centre but when I opened it up on the train home there was nothing inside! And by the look of the foam layers there never was!?

I had a look at the new Williams Optics 
WIFD. Looks good but is very heavy for its size. I’m thinking of upgrading my 102 Achro though nothing there made me want to spend my money. 
I only went to the one talk on building observatories which was interesting.

A good day out despite the lack of filter.

• Sad 1

Looks like a call needed to Simon on Monday morning then.

But i'm sure he'll sort it out.

I emailed him on the way home and will call on Monday am. I m sure it’ll all get sorted out.