• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

skywatcher syncscan az mount

webby

i have the above mount and i've tried connect to my pc,,windows 10 home,,

i bought a serial to usb lead off fleabay and it has a ftdi chip in it,,it come up as com3 in device manager and usb serial converter

i downloaded the ascom platform software and the syncscan hand controller driver

i updated the controller to the newest firmware no problem,,come to link mount to pc and in the ascom diagnostic software it wont see the com3,,

if i input the com3 manually it goes straight back to nothing in the box..

iv'e tried everything for the last 2 days,,got no hair left now lol

any ideas anyone

What are you connecting the PC to? I connect my PC directly to the handset USB connector so no need for a USB to serial inteface, just a normal USB cable.

Assuming your using Eqmod or have you not downloaded that ? have you run Eqmod set up ? and have you set correct baud rate ?

Here's a link to possibly the clearest description I've read of the connection options and instructions for connecting a PC to Skywatcher mount. Well worth a read from start to finish (it's fairly long but very detailed and should get the two connected and working):

https://www.atm-workshop.com/synscan-pc-connect.html

it's a version 3 handset,,and it's an az mount not an equatorial mount,,so eqmod won't work i dont think but i will try it

Edited by webby
add on

it is now connecting to ascomdiagnostics,,,controller screws stripped at bottom causing something,,so opened up controller and resolder port connection just in case and and put some slightly bigger screws in,,now to connect to a program,,gonna try cart du ciel see how i get on lol