• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

How it all started

Stu

Dug this out last night. The book that first made me want to get into astrophotography. Published in 2006, it's amazing how things have moved on since then. It's a lovely book to sit and flick through. 

large.Screenshot_20230225_102551_Gallery.jpg.c83b4e2a6cef8b313ad11912eb7d34c2.jpg

• Like 2

That looks familiar,  i think I've got that book somewhere upstairs.

Did you go straight into astrophotography or were you visual first?

Happy birthday for yesterday Stu. 

Edited by Glafnazur
Added text

There's an image of M42 and NGC1977 in there by an amateur photographer, the same as my recent one and the reason I took it.

Apart from a small Tasco reflector when I was 11 or 12,  I didn't have a scope until 1st lockdown. Then jumped down the AP rabbit hole last year. Too far in to turn back now 😄

Thanks very much 👍

This is the book that got me hooked on astronomy. It was quite a few years ago now 🙂 

072140104X

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Glafnazur said:

This is the book that got me hooked on astronomy.

Good old Ladybird books 😁 How old were you when you got that?

Pretty much. I dipped in and out during my late teens and twenties when I was more into alcohol, rock music and D&D but the interest was always there. My first telescope was one my dad made me when i was young, he made it out of some plastic tubing and lenses he got from an optician. My first view of the moon through it really got me hooked despite the horrendous CA 😄

19 minutes ago, Glafnazur said:

despite the horrendous CA 😄

Still a pretty awesome first scope, don't suppose you've still got it?

It was but unfortunately I no longer have it. In some respects i think the CA helped get me hooked, I love colours and at the time I didn't know any better anyway 😄 My second scope was a Tasco but it was on a crappy tripod and I never really got on with it. I turned to binoculars until I bought an 8" Orion Optics Europa reflector back around 2003.

How ironic 😄 CA didn't bother me in my achromat unitl I got the 150-PDS. I think my Tasco was used as a bazooka more than anything. 

It was the 1966 edition of The Observers book on Astronomy by Sir Patrick that cemented the hobby for me following a visit to the London Planetarium.

I was visual till late 70s then experimented strapping my Zenit B to my Tasco 10T refractor and manually guiding for dso,s with TriX in the camera. Oh the memories :-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philjay said:

London Planetarium.

I think I've been there, my childhood memories sketchy at best. 

So I take it that AP back then would've been just taking long exposures with film?

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

...So I take it that AP back then would've been just taking long exposures with film?

Oh the joys of AP with film! Kodak Tri-X or Ilford HP4 push-processed to ridiculous ISOs using D76 developer just to get a hint of an image after manually guiding for 10 mins and with grain the size of peas! And their was also hypersensitived Kodak Technical Pan that was effectively like using a modded DSLR (but at an ISO setting of about 25!). It's so much easier these days!