• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Messier 81 - starting a new image on an old friend

Bob Dobber

Just under 2 hours of lumninance data on M81 on the back-in-favour MN190 and 533 mono...

L 1h56m Autosave

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Brady said:

Nice one Rob, how long are the subs for this on that 533?....got my eye on one...maybe🤫

Thanks, these were 120s subs using the L-Pro for luminance. I initially thought 180s would be about right (just guesstimate) but NINA told me I was blowing out a lot of pixels so I put it down to 120s. I started getting some RGB last night before the clouds and threatened rain and those were fine with 180s.

43 minutes ago, Glafnazur said:

Nice Rob.  What changed your mind on MN190?

Well, quite simply because I got it collimated (by Orion Optics) plus a fellow owner is talking to a Chinese fabricator about a focuser that should be a direct swap (like the feather touch but less than half the price) that should resolve the nasty focuser issues like the unnecessary (for AP anyway) extension tube and the inadequate compression fitment that you can't remove...

7 hours ago, Brady said:

Are you just using the statistics tab to check the pixels in NINA?

Yeah. It was also noticeably "hot" in the core too. Using the Nina stats is more technical than I normally am. I usually just rely on a bit of gut feel and experience (though I've not got heaps of the latter). Do you have an suggestions?

54 minutes ago, RonC said:

Glad you kept it Rob?

Pretty much! Until such time I have to re-collimate 😱 my mate has ordered his new focuser so will report back when he's tried it.

On 26/02/2023 at 17:31, Bob Dobber said:

Yeah. It was also noticeably "hot" in the core too. Using the Nina stats is more technical than I normally am. I usually just rely on a bit of gut feel and experience (though I've not got heaps of the latter). Do you have an suggestions?

Not really Rob, i use the same routine, although im not sure if your aware but the nina exposure calculator has now been made into a plug-in so not available in the latest software unless downloaded and installed yourself, im set up and ready for a clear to test...could be a while 😐

20 minutes ago, Brady said:

Not really Rob, i use the same routine, although im not sure if your aware but the nina exposure calculator has now been made into a plug-in so not available in the latest software unless downloaded and installed yourself, im set up and ready for a clear to test...could be a while 😐

Not actually sure what the "Exposure Calculator" is, maybe I should look it up. I generally just rely on a bit of commonsense, a bit of experience and some trial and error, but if there's something that is a bit more scientfic maybe I should take a look!

56 minutes ago, Brady said:

Looking at your images Rob just stick with what your doing 😉

Hehe very kind. Cheers.