• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Not so central

Bottletopburly

I was never going to get collimatooon spot on when the mirror donut not central 🤦‍♂️ Black dot marks true centre large.F9BF7D79-697C-4ED8-B987-F08466B27994.jpeg.513b2b200acd670a7d0554994777fb8e.jpeg

Orion Optics UK used to be notorious for doing that.

Is that an OO scope ? The primary retaining clips look rather 'OO-esque'

One can only conclude that putting the 'donut' bang on centre is not as straightforward as one would think....?

Thinking about it, if i tried to do it myself, i'm sure i'd make a pigs ear of it.

9 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Orion Optics UK used to be notorious for doing that.

Is that an OO scope ? The primary retaining clips look rather 'OO-esque'

One can only conclude that putting the 'donut' bang on centre is not as straightforward as one would think....?

Thinking about it, if i tried to do it myself, i'm sure i'd make a pigs ear of it.

Hi rob no it’s only a skywatcher 200pds, apparently a cotton bud soaked in nail varnish will remove it , recentering I don’t see a problem as you usually squirt water on the surface first and that should give a bit of time to centre into position, just need to find a replacement ,Flo did sell catseye centres but showing unavailable so will have a google today and see what’s about .

I'm surprised nowadays they don't use a laser etched dot to mark the centre ?

A lot of RC and DC type scopes mark the secondary this way too to aid collimation.

How about a small blob of Mercury ? I think that would be better than a drop of water...?

Or am i overthinking things a bit....??  😄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'm surprised nowadays they don't use a laser etched dot to mark the centre ?

A lot of RC and DC type scopes mark the secondary this way too to aid collimation.

How about a small blob of Mercury ? I think that would be better than a drop of water...?

Or am i overthinking things a bit....??  😄

I will get a paper ring for now though I may invest at some point in a Catseye system you would think the central spot would be bang on seems Qc no better at synta factory these days 

Edited by Bottletopburly