• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Multi-tasking Berlebach

bryand

A while back I explained that if I spend astro-mega-bucks it needs to do more than one thing.  Well the Berlebach Uni 29C tripod I got for the new BigBins rig was expensive, but it works impressively well.  In fact, it shows up how poorly my steel pipe tri-pier dampens vibrations.

But rather than buy a complete new tripod to replace a still-serviceable tri-pier, I checked with Berlebach and discovered I can get a new tripod top to fit my Ioptron AZPro mount.  So one set of tripod legs and their spreader mechanisms can do dual duty.

large.s_BB2.JPG.73a4875a3e493ce7ccffb925bcaa2408.JPG

There's only really four assemblies to the tripod: three legs and the head.  The M8 bolts at the top of the legs are retained by the long handles.  Remove the handles, knock or prise the bolt out and the leg comes off.  Repeat twice more and then reverse three times with the new head.

I'm accumulating rather a varied selection of BB tripod tops.

I guess when you buy second hand you can't really specify which head you want.

Berlebach in Germany sell replacement options thankfully.

13 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'm accumulating rather a varied selection of BB tripod tops.

If you've got one for an ioptron AZMount Pro I'll take it off your hands!

• 3 weeks later...

Well continuing the theme of nothing going right first time... it turns out the nifty spread limiter on the 29C's legs didn't initially fit the new tripod top. 

Nothing that a bit of fettling with a Dremel didn't fix, but a pain nevertheless on an expensive bit of kit:

large.IMG_1063.JPG.1082384f5e1916eea45d922e3a29515c.JPG