• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Weight of mounts

Celeste

Ok so i'm looking at a new mount, but what do these things weigh? I will be carting one from my living room, through the kitchen and out to the garden. I am thinking of the EQ6 syntrek...but could I use my handset from the EQ3.2 to upgrade to GOTO? Other than that it's the HEQ5 pro synscan mount. How much does each of these units weigh? And what is the weight limit of the scopes on these mounts?

I'm not sure of the weights but Sheila is a relatively small person and she manges to carry the SkyWatcher NEQ6 (I know she has the 6 which is the biggest mount SkyWatcher do) and she carrys that (minus weights and OTA) perfectly fine.

I copied this from FLO's website about the Skywatcher eq 6 syntrek...

"The EQ6 SynTrek can be upgraded to full computerized SynScan GOTO by simply changing the hand control to a SynScan hand control."

As for weight capacity, I'm not 100% sure, I just know you have to allow for the OTA, cameras, etc etc.

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly who knows.

Thanks...I was wondering if ANY handset from the SW range would do the job, I wasn't sure if my EQ3.2 handset would be good enough...if you get what I mean.

Is the EQ 3.2 hand controller a Syncscan hand controller?

If so FLO's website says you should be okay, best check with them to make sure though.

NEQ6 Pro weighs 23.5kgs (mount 16kgs and tripod 7.5kgs) without including the two 5.1kg counterweights weights.

HEQ5 Pro weighs 10kgs and the tripod 5.6kgs making 15.6kgs (again without the two 5.1kg counterweights).

I have no problem popping 30kg's of scope and weights combined on the NEQ6 but I seem to remember someone quoting 25kgs as the maximum. The HEQ5 I've no idea but it's gonna be considerably less. HTH :)

NEQ 6 is indeed 23.5 kgs and I can pick it up and put in the back of van with mount on tripod. it carried bout 25kgs payload.

I only weigh 62kgs myself so you should have no problems

Cant pick it up with weights on tough LOL

Would recommend it though its good.

Sheila

Just another point I finf it easier to pick up NEQ6 with mount and tripod toghter as you can put your srm through tripod to steady.

If you just have the mount separate it is hsrder as it is a solid lupm and not much to anchor on to lift.

Sheila