• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Scopos TL805

Stu

So I've finally got my hands on it. Looks like it's not been used for a while so needs some love. Re-flocking, cleaning, maybe a lick of paint. But first impressions are that it's pretty well made, the focuser feels solid and is nice and smooth. 

When will I get to use it? Who knows at the moment, just staring out the window at the rain. But I'll post an update once I've had a go. 

The lens needs a clean first and foremost, am I safe with baader wonder stuff?

• Like 1

The Baader wonder is certainly very good stuff.

Looking at your image the lens doesn't appear to be too bad at all, unless you've already cleaned it ? 

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

The Baader wonder is certainly very good stuff.

Looking at your image the lens doesn't appear to be too bad at all, unless you've already cleaned it ? 

The outer surface wasn't too bad, just a few fingerprints and smudges. The inner surface was pretty bad, you can just about see if you zoom on that pic. Rather than a plastic cap in the focuser there was a sponge bung type thing that was degraded so that didn't help. I don't think it's been cleaned inside before, there was a cobweb in there 😄 The glass is all clean now though, lots of careful blowing and wiping with wonder fluid. I'm going to have a look through it later if I get time after work.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

It looks like a really nice little scope.

It was a bit of a gamble but pleased with it so far

Felt and copydex acquired from my son's craft box 🤫 That'll do for the time being. 

2023-03-19_08-16-31

• Like 2

2023-03-22_05-06-45

Once I've given it a bit of WD40 and a polish, anything I should be putting on moving parts afterwards?

New paint job, re-flocked inside. Still need to give the focuser some love. Just waiting on some new mounting bits, ready for the next clear evening in May/June 🤞

20230402_125035

20230402_144803

20230403_214638

The paint job ended up being a bit of a mess, but it's all ready to go. Shame I've got a stinking cold so will probably be having an early night 😭

2023-04-07_05-22-35

• Like 2

I've posted a pic in DSOs of M44. Can anything about the scope be determined from this image? Is it ok or have I been polishing a turd!

Finally got round to the focuser. I didn't think it was too bad but the ball-bearings were very stiff. Cleaned out and greased up it's much smoother.