• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Five Planets visible tonight.

BAZ

I was flicking round the channels last night and came across channel 5 news. Apparently, if the skies are clear I would be able to see Mercury, Jupiter, Venus Uranus and Mars. 

I really wish they would get their facts right, by the time the news was broadcast, two had already set. Not withstanding that you would need binoculars at the very least to find Mercury and  I have never been able to see Uranus with binoculars.

Then this morning, Carol Kirkwood had a picture of Ursa Major and was on about the same alignment, but did say you would be lucky to see them without a scope.

I really don't know why they don't use the resources they have available to check the facts, I'll bet the SAN team have their heads in their hands.

Ive seen a couple of announcements on this, much in the same vein. "Heres how to see 5 planets" etc. Then when you drill down you find the actual reality.

Its all about attention grabbing hyperbolae  with iffy bullet points these days. 

I,m surprised at Carol though, thought she had more common sense

• Like 2

Just like the recent comet. They hype these things up and build up people's expectations only for them to be dashed. I am sure it must turn some people off astronomy. 

I was hoping to see Mercury last night for the first time this apparition as it was very close to Jupiter and only 0.6 mag fainter.  But the clouds just hung around the horizon until after they had set.

I never watch 'mainstream news' if i can avoid it, and haven't for 3 years.

But this comes as no surprise. I've surprised they didn't get astronomy and astrology mixed up like they often do...!!

I read something similar, then Caroline Martin (BBC Radio Shropshire) claimed you could see them after midnight! They all set in twilight I think. I would have liked to see Mercury again this year, but the Worcestershire clouds put a stop to that. 

I think i've only seen Mercury a couple of times in about the last 5 years.

It looked like a disco ball in the scope up at Belper darksite (low in the west) and the time before that was a November transit event !

On 28/03/2023 at 22:08, Bino-viewer said:

I think i've only seen Mercury a couple of times in about the last 5 years.

It looked like a disco ball in the scope up at Belper darksite (low in the west) and the time before that was a November transit event !

I've seen it a record six times earlier this year. I was hoping for a seventh.

1 hour ago, Nightspore said:

I've seen it a record six times earlier this year. I was hoping for a seventh.

Was that during the January morning apparition?  I've no decent view of the eastern horizon so missed that one but I'm hopeful of seeing it during the evening apparition over the next 3 weeks or so - clouds permitting!