• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flats issue hopefully resolved

Bottletopburly

I’ve always had an issue using flats on the 200pds not correcting properly which hopefully thanks to a sgl member in Finland may have nailed the issue, which basically boils down to light leak from rear of ota which was spoiling my calibration files so library of Dark flats and darks at different exposures redone off scope and they are all good now no light leak spoiling them , just rear of scope to cover up and hopefully next session will be more fruitful.

When I had my 200PDS I used a cover over the back of the scope, almost like a black beret. I bought it from FLO though, so paid the astro tax on it... I don't use it any more if of interest?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob Dobber said:

When I had my 200PDS I used a cover over the back of the scope, almost like a black beret. I bought it from FLO though, so paid the astro tax on it... I don't use it any more if of interest?

Thanks I’m sure I have an old hat that can be repurposed, I did have a shower cap a while ago but it lost its shape , but definitely will get it sealed up from stray light .

47 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Thanks I’m sure I have an old hat that can be repurposed, I did have a shower cap a while ago but it lost its shape , but definitely will get it sealed up from stray light .

Have you flocked the tube? That is often a source of stray light with those scopes. I bought the material but then never got round to doing it, requires removal of mirrors, and that was terrifying to me. There's also 3D printed parts you can print and fit to help stop stray light around the primary...

19 minutes ago, Bob Dobber said:

Have you flocked the tube? That is often a source of stray light with those scopes. I bought the material but then never got round to doing it, requires removal of mirrors, and that was terrifying to me. There's also 3D printed parts you can print and fit to help stop stray light around the primary...

Yes tube flocked, aperture mask fitted but still some light leak nothing  drastic but enough to make a difference