• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New focuser on the MN190 - woop!

Bob Dobber

That looks excellent, is that the skywatcher stock base ? Looks like a steeltrack base , may be worth putting a link to supplier.

49 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

That looks excellent, is that the skywatcher stock base ? Looks like a steeltrack base , may be worth putting a link to supplier.

In the third picture that ring is the adapter supplied by the manufacturer of the focuser. It is secured in place by the four tiny grub screws that held the original focuser on. You've got the 200PDS haven't you? No idea if this would be a direct replacement for that, but the focuser on the 200PDS isn't as much of a horror show as on the MN190! Think they might do other variants though.

This is the focuser: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144959646948?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=c2lihuirrvk&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=QgHl1DARS2y&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, naglfar said:

Hi Bob, that's exactly what I've been looking for myself for my newly acquired MN190! I have a similar imaging setup to yours (OAG-L, EAF 7x36, ASI2600MM).

Would you mind telling me which version of the focuser you got - the 35mm or the 60mm? 

It's been revolutionary, I didn't even re-collimate after swapping out. Whether it does need tinkering with is debatable though so don't rule it out. I basically don't want to risk touching it while it's generally working ok!!

The vendor was skyoptikst I think and here's what I ordered...

Good luck with it!

Screenshot_20240131-113634

2 hours ago, naglfar said:

Wow, that was fast! I was considering getting the 60mm for potential future visual use, but I've been unable to verify if it gets into the light path with the camera in focus. Think I'll just get the 35mm as well.

Thanks a bunch!

I asked my mate what his rationale was and he said: "I don’t believe it would have given enough tolerance to achieve focus. Without the end of the focus unit encroaching too far into the tube. If you put a smaller planet cam on for example that needs further away focus, I guess a threaded extension tube would be the next investment."

I'm only really interested in DSO and no visual so I'm fine with my option...

Cool. You ordered the adapter with it as well, right? They're responsive on messages generally by the way.

Great stuff. I've got that 2" adapter as well but I've never used it. The clamp style attachment is perfectly strong enough, and a massive improvement from the piece of cack that is on the stock focuser with that hateful extension tube thing. How they can ship such a high value telescope with that is beyond me.

Nice. I'd never removed a focuser from a scope before and frankly I was shocked at how primitive it was. Literally thin metal rod pressing against a sheer shiny metal tube supposedly providing some sort of fine adjustment. A wonder it works at all. The rack and pinion of this new one kicks it into touch completely.