• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Light with Altair 125

Streetbob

awesome looking set up     should bet my Tak  this month ... fingers crossed    

That all looks very nice!

Could I just ask what the silver doodah on the top dovetail is?

58 minutes ago, Stu said:

Could I just ask what the silver doodah on the top dovetail is?

It's a sign that we haven't had any clear skies so I started experimenting with a method of fine balancing when changing eyepieces.  I had a vixen clamp knocking around so I lined with flocking material so as not to scratch anything and used a bolt with a teflon end  (again to prevent scratches). 

IMG_0638

I then bolted a small counter weight to the clamp.  All from stuff  I already had.

IMG_0639

But does it work?  Sort of.  Balance is kept when changing from 36mm ep to 15 ep but only by using the very ends of the handle.  

I have 2 options:-  add another weight (which I have) but that may be too heavy or buy a longer vixen bar (red of course) and attach to the tube rings.

Thanks for your interest.

Nice idea. I had a long dovetail on my newt which meant I could slide things around for balance. I thought about using a countersink bolt and drilling the bar to allow unhindered slidyness along the full length of it, as the other bar was shorter. Never got round to it though 😄

Wow! I'm amazed that a change of eyepiece(s) would make such a difference to as to require rebalancing considering the inertia of everything else!

There’s quite a difference between the 36mm and 15mm but I can tighten the alt friction to compensate. It makes initial balancing easier but it’s mainly a case of wanting to play with my new scope but no clear skies.