• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter 1st look

Guest flames UK

Guest flames UK

Omg , so exited , last night after leaving the scope outside all night and just seeing cloud , I just went outside to bring it back in and all the cloud had gone , it was 2am and I thought il just have a quick look , wow found Jupiter !! It is beautiful / seen the bands and four moons . I'm still buzzing now !!! I went inside and said to my wife " hey babe , u wanna come outside and see another planet ? " got a very strange look lol . She found it in her tal 1 and we spent an hour observing together .. A great night il remember forever ... Thankyou to all ems guys for advice and know how , this had made all the investment and time worthwhile , I can see why you guys say it's an obsession !!! Carl

Nice1 !

That is exactly how I became hooked. Someone texted me to say Venus was visible where the sun just set - Dec 2011 - but by the time I'd set up the bright 'star' that I pointed my 130p at looked like it had two brown lines across it, and, as you say, it had moons. I instantly knew it was Jupiter and called a mate out to see it, though no-one was more buzzed than I was !

And yes, Saturn is really nice, even in a small scope the rings are easily visible.

Regards

Aenima

Omg , so exited , last night after leaving the scope outside all night and just seeing cloud , I just went outside to bring it back in and all the cloud had gone , it was 2am and I thought il just have a quick look , wow found Jupiter !! It is beautiful / seen the bands and four moons . I'm still buzzing now !!! I went inside and said to my wife " hey babe , u wanna come outside and see another planet ? " got a very strange look lol . She found it in her tal 1 and we spent an hour observing together .. A great night il remember forever ... Thankyou to all ems guys for advice and know how , this had made all the investment and time worthwhile , I can see why you guys say it's an obsession !!! Carl

Jupiter is my fav thing as well, it lifts my mood when I see it, my opinion but to me its the best thing in the night sky by a mile.... Venus can be a little disappointing in comparison but still well worth a look.

congrats on your first Jupiter view, but as said above Saturn will not disapoint either, another real wow moment, i got the wife out of bed the first time i looked at Saturn, it was 2 am and even she was amazed which is unusual for her L.O.L.

Jupiter was my first planet spotted through 15x70 binoculars and I could see all 4 of the visible moons. When I got my 200P and pointed it at Jupiter I was blown away! Then the first time I pointed the 200P at Saturn I called the wife out and she looked and sadly it's the only time he has shown mild interest! :)

My mrs said oh its got a ring and went back inside to watch holby ! I didn't bother calling her out for anything again :)

My mrs said oh its got a ring and went back inside to watch holby ! I didn't bother calling her out for anything again :)

Ha ha ha! :) yep I can sympathise- win some lose some eh?!

I can still remember my first Jupiter view. Only a month or so back. It will always be one of my most memorable stargazing memories. Thankfully my Mrs enjoys looking at stuff, but she's not interested in all the specs of scopes or any of that. Still waiting for my first Saturn view. Dont think it'll be up at a reasonable hour until nearly February though (I think) . Sad face.

Congratulations on your first viewing of Jupiter, i've just put a comment on another thread about me being impressed with finding Jupiter for myself.

I was blown away with finding and viewing for myself at Kelling, i've caught the bug too. Wayne is pleased I now share his excitement as well as make the tea lol.

Guest swaylight

Congrats on the first view of Jupiter, I too have the 130P got it for my birthday a few weeks ago, and set it up looking around at practially anything i could see, and saw this bright blob in the sky rise above my house so thought that's a must... low and behold it was jupiter, didn't know it was out there as i was too busy looking at everything and anything with my new scope. But like you say it grabs you, i even had to step away for 5 mins to realise what i had just saw :) but happy viewing :)

• 1 year later...
Guest heavensabove

Good evening, Carl. I can understand your excitement - having just had exactly the same experience. With no cloud tonight, I set up my old Opticron birding scope and had perfect views of Jupiter and its four major moons. That was special enough but I was even more excited to see the bands on Jupiter!! This has made me even more determined to purchase an astronomical scope.  :)

Yeah, I just had similar! A friend round, nice evening, and a few drinks - finally astronomy comes up! Coincidentally :rolleyes:  about this time Jupiter comes round to my best viewing window! Any tiny glimpse of Jupiter and I'm happy! Even from a window, blurred most of the time, the brief moments of focus... WOW! Some people might see pictures from Hubble etc and be unimpressed, but I'm constantly in awe that I can actually see Jupiter right now, it's more than just a bright star, it has thickness, I can see the bands!

It is times like this that I feel I must thank this forum, the imaging and observing reports convinced me to invest in a scope, and for me, the visual rewards have been awesome.  :)

Edited by Jmz

Wait till you both see Saturn - it may be hard to believe but it's twice as beautiful as Jupiter - but you have to stay up super late - or get an early night and get up super early. It's an early morning object right now.

But it's very low and the rings are closing up again for a few months and will wobble back out even wider next year. So you'll need a very clear morning between 3am and 6am when it approaches due south. It'll get to it's highest point in the sky of about 24degs so there's still a lot of atmosphere to get through.

Well worth the early morning. :)

I will second and third Kim's view - nothing prepares you for seeing Saturn - breath taking. Worth the numb toes and other bits.