• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lighter mount

Speed

Hi   so I have an EQ6 mont that I use for the Intes Micro MN76    I am thinking about a lighter mount for the Takahashi  FC100 DZ   

Recommendations please    

Heq5 for goto but still a bit weighty. Eq5 non goto. Nice and lightweight. Takes seconds to set up. ra and dec drives can be fitted if required. Giro 2 altaz. Really simple and lightweight.

I have these, i moved away from heavy mounts after my monster of a celestron cge mount, i put my back out once setting thst beast up.

1 hour ago, philjay said:

Heq5 for goto but still a bit weighty. Eq5 non goto. Nice and lightweight. Takes seconds to set up. ra and dec drives can be fitted if required. Giro 2 altaz. Really simple and lightweight.

I have these, i moved away from heavy mounts after my monster of a celestron cge mount, i put my back out once setting thst beast up.

Agree about the HEQ5 Phil, no way that I could manage an EQ6, but I loved the HEQ5. Particularly with the Rowan belt mod which is lovely and quiet and gives no backlash.

From what I've heard a much better mount than the EQ5.

Also consider iOptron mounts, they have a very good reputation

What about one of those AZ GTI's ?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi-alt-az-mount-tripod.html

You'd have alt-az convenience for grab / go for not too big an initial outlay. I would want a decent tripod though.

There are some users on SGL with them. I think they are quoted to carry upto 5 kg.

FLO  recommended this as well   I am  leaning towards the EG5  pro    at the moment   

not at all    the EQ6  will be sold as the intes has been retired   due to the weight