• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What would you suggest?

I have ressurected my Parallelogram mount, which I was going to strip and scrap. However, this has me wondering about some new big bino's. I did have a pair of 15x70's, but these have deteriorated, the rubber has perished and the armouring has become sticky. While they optically work, they are now effectively unusable.

So I have been looking at two as a possible replacement.

Helios Stellar II 25x100

Celestron skymaster pro 20x80

Now, I know there are better bino's in the market, but budget dictates.

Does anyone have any comments, good or bad regarding either of these and which would you choose and why.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Picture of the mount holding the 15x70's in their better days.

Martyns stuff 122.jpg

Edited by BAZ

I got a pair of old revelations awhile back, 25x100. The rubber coating had gone sticky, so I ckeaned it off with meths. Took awhile but they were useable after that.

The 25x100s are a bit bulky and weighty but they do pull in a lot more. Ive had 15x80 inpro bins and they were more manageable and were optically good compared to some budget bins

I have had a gleg through celestron 80s in the past which were ok ish optically but I wasnt overly taken with them. They were obviously built diwn to a budget.

I had a pair of 20x100 Helios Stellar IIs which were solidly built, manageably heavyish and worked well on my Orion parallelogram arm setup.  I upgraded to Helios Quantums because I wanted interchangeable eyepieces, and the 90° viewing saves my back. 

Never used the Celestrons, so can't comment on them.

Thanks chaps, I am leaning towards the Helios as it's a step up and the build quality seems better.

I've got a pair of Helios LightQuest-HR 16x80 Binoculars and I've been pretty impressed with them.

I have pushed the button on the 25x100's. I'll get them Saturday all being well. I'll let you know how I get on.