• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Berlebach observers chair

Speed

I don’t know about this chair, but Berlebach tripods are well made and a joy to use. Also an adjustable observing chair makes viewing so much more comfortable and I’ve found I get more out of my equipment. I prefer wood as much as possible especially on cold nights. 

I've not tried one Dave but I've got one (and a Berlebach tripod) in my FLO Wishlist. All the reviews seem very positive.

Not tried out the Berlebach chairs but to me they are a bit expensive for what they are (£179 - £229)

Also an 'ironing chair' / stool will do a similar job. Depends on what sort of quality you want.

My recommendation : a musicians stool.

I've  used one for several years and have been very happy with it. 

Its well built and sturdy, adjusts up and down and also tilts left / right.

FLO used to sell them for about £120 but no longer do.

But you can buy them still, direct from Germany. Mine cost around £90 when i purchased it (probably 7 or 8 years ago)

Here's the link if its of interest  :

https://www.thomann.de/gb/mey_chair_systems_af6_kl_bk.htm

4 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

I've not tried one Dave but I've got one (and a Berlebach tripod) in my FLO Wishlist. All the reviews seem very positive.

I can recommend them Dave. I have two : a 'Planet' and a 'Uni 18'

And both were second hand purchases at bargain prices compared to new.

You can also order replacement 'top plates' that are mount compatible direct from Berlebach. I have a few spares.....

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I can recommend them Dave. I have two : a 'Planet' and a 'Uni 18'

And both were second hand purchases at bargain prices compared to new.

You can also order replacement 'top plates' that are mount compatible direct from Berlebach. I have a few spares.....

Yes, they are not cheap but even in the pictures they ooze quality. I didn't know that you can get spare top plates, thanks Rob.

Bizarrely they list over 20 different ones for the Planet.

Why there isn't any sort of standardisation from tripod to base of mount i don't know. ?

But then that would be too much like common sense.

agree the musician chairs look interesting   quick loc  are a good brand    close to the cost of the Berlebach   

I made this one from offcuts and a gardener's kneeling pad.  The notches were drilled by clamping the legs edge-to-edge and drilling through both legs with a pillar drill and Forstner bit.

Total cost: small change.

large.s_Mk2.JPG.978898d1addfa60d1718b84f1cad3314.JPG

• Like 2

nice    Seen some plans on line from people who have done just this